Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 02:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Recent Posts
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

on: January 16, 2015, 09:59:15 PM 
Started by D. Vance - Last post by D. Vance
Hello!  s144!
I'm a new member looking to get into raising Bobwhite Quail and perhaps Ring-necked Pheasant. I'm still trying to figure out all the laws and everything. I could be just inexperienced, but it seems WV is very restrictive on such things! Anyways, hello everyone, and I look forward to reading (and hopefully learning) here!
-Darin

on: January 03, 2015, 12:58:46 PM 
Started by DEETLE - Last post by DEETLE
Hi Folks,

Looking to buy some adult Gamble's...    Know anybody???

Thanks,

Deetle

on: December 28, 2014, 10:57:13 PM 
Started by mattdv - Last post by RedOakGamebirds
Welcome to our website and forum Matt.  I changed the registration around a little to avoid spam.  Did you have any problems with the questions?
Larry

on: December 28, 2014, 12:45:39 AM 
Started by mattdv - Last post by mattdv
Hello All

Matt from Southern Ontario, just signing up after I found this site from the survival podcast episode on Corturnix Quail.  Doing a lot of reading andf have a few questions that I'll fond the right sub-forum for.  Regards,

Matt

on: December 15, 2014, 12:17:45 PM 
Started by Greenane - Last post by Greenane
We are looking to purchase a used Quail egg incubator and separate hatcher. Each with a capacity of 5000 plus hatching eggs.   We are also looking for a used rotary scalder.
If anyone has them to sell or knows where to look it would be appreciated.

on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:43 AM 
Started by RedOakGamebirds - Last post by RedOakGamebirds
Due to the intense amount of spam that is trying to come into this website we are inacting a new rule.  Once you register for this forum and your account is activated you have 3 days (72 hours) to post a comment on this forum or your account will be deleted and marked as spam.  Feel free to visit the New Member Section and just tell us about yourself.  As long as you post somewhere on this forum that will be accepted.  Members will respond better if they get to know you first so let us know where youre from and interests.  Keep in mind any member posting spam will be immediately terminated and your IP will be blocked from access to this forum. 

on: November 16, 2014, 11:52:25 AM 
Started by missfire - Last post by brippley
I have had success doing this. I have been raising quail for several years, I have four different pens to grow out birds before they go to the final pen which has various aged birds inside.  Inside that final pen i have a separate netted off area that allows me to place the newly moved birds inside.  This allows them to see the new additions, and I think accept them into the flock without allowing them to be harmed. I have found that if I keep them in that separate area for a week then I can open up the netting allowing them to mingle without harm to the new additions.

on: November 10, 2014, 06:48:49 AM 
Started by Sterling-Ranch - Last post by Pheasant Hollow Farm
I know you do and everyone here appreciates your comments.  Many of the websites that were once up and thriving can no longer be found.  I dont know if the interest in raising birds is just not there any more or those that still do have no interest in online.  I know this site had issues years ago as well.  It was starting when Shawn had it but it spiraled after I obtained it hoping to save it.  There is so much valuable information on this forum and site I cant take it down.  I dont do much on Facebook either but its what millions of people are turning to.  I just made a small group page with the intent of pointing to here.  Im not even raising the birds I once had.  I went from 30,000 plus a year down to just breeder stock.  My wife and I both work other jobs and my kids are nearly all grown.  My passion is still here because I just cleared the land for 18 flight pens and built a 42' building.  Do you have any input to share Steve on the trend of things?  Feel free to do it here or private.  This site used to have dozens of people online at once and always something new to talk about.  Surely all the questions havent been asked.  Im guilty as well for not coming in here for a month at a time.

Hi ya Larry,

It is definitely the economy. I am down to only my breeders and about 100 extra cocks. I have about 250 birds total. Shells are high in price for the bird hunter and small game hunter as well. Lots of penny pinching going around. The cost of feeding my birds has tripled. The cost of raising chicks has tripled as well. This type of business is no longer profitable unless you own a shooting and big game hunting preserve with paying members and with outside reservations/clientele

Most of the Mom and Pop Shooting preserves I serviced around here have closed the doors. The hunting guide services that rented other peoples lands for bird release either as a shoot to retrieve or dog trials are out of business as well.

Eggs and chicks were a big sell back some years back. Now, the pheasant eggs are sold as specialty eggs along with the chicken eggs for consumables. It takes two (2) pheasant eggs to equal one (1) large chicken egg. The people around here like the pheasant eggs for the younger kids.

I did two (2) hatches for a customer in Ohio totaling over 600 birds; I didn’t hatch anything for myself.

I do still have some of my die hard customer that will call for birds during the holiday season. Some for releasing on there property to hunt and those that just want table fair.

I still release around here and on my property. I don’t advertise that I release either. I still have GSP (4) that love to hunt and a yellow lab. I also have an Australian cattle dog that love to chase squirrels.

I don’t think I will ever stop raising birds, but as far as a part time business, no. This is more of a hobby. I have over 5 acres that I have strategically place around the farm. I grow Milo, Millet and Sorghum. None of these grain crops are harvested. The released birds have food and so does the rest of the wildlife that are on the property.

I guess we will have to wait until this White House administration changes hands before things get any better. I think it is going to be a ruff two (2) years for the Republicans and a president that states: I will do it myself with executive orders I Have a Pen and a Phone. I am not getting any younger…

Have a nice day Larry!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

on: November 09, 2014, 10:57:07 AM 
Started by Sterling-Ranch - Last post by RedOakGamebirds
I know you do and everyone here appreciates your comments.  Many of the websites that were once up and thriving can no longer be found.  I dont know if the interest in raising birds is just not there any more or those that still do have no interest in online.  I know this site had issues years ago as well.  It was starting when Shawn had it but it spiraled after I obtained it hoping to save it.  There is so much valuable information on this forum and site I cant take it down.  I dont do much on Facebook either but its what millions of people are turning to.  I just made a small group page with the intent of pointing to here.  Im not even raising the birds I once had.  I went from 30,000 plus a year down to just breeder stock.  My wife and I both work other jobs and my kids are nearly all grown.  My passion is still here because I just cleared the land for 18 flight pens and built a 42' building.  Do you have any input to share Steve on the trend of things?  Feel free to do it here or private.  This site used to have dozens of people online at once and always something new to talk about.  Surely all the questions havent been asked.  Im guilty as well for not coming in here for a month at a time.

on: November 09, 2014, 05:56:08 AM 
Started by RedOakGamebirds - Last post by Pheasant Hollow Farm
That Quail Place is now on Facebook.  Visit us there as well and join our page.

Sorry Larry, I don't do that type of social media.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10