Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: feed  (Read 6023 times)
canderson

« on: June 08, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »

I am going to try getting my "feet wet" with about 100 bobwhite quail chicks. How much starter should i have on hand before getting my birds? Should I use any medication in their water in the brooder?
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »

Canderson, To start off a 50lb bag will last your 2-3 weeks or more. It's  when they get to be 6 weeks plus when you start going through more feed. Get medicated feed it has everything in it you'll need and put electrolite in your water.  ty2 Jim
canderson

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »

Thanks for your prompt reply. My water source is same as city water supply, so has some chlorine already in it. My feed is going to be the Purine Startena. Also, have some Gro-gel supply to start. I kinda had a hard time finding the top protein feeds here in Central Texas. Should I let the quail chicks develop  an immune system before adding medication to feed?
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »

If you have a tractor supply they have starter with medication already added.  ty2 Jim And that's electrolites & vitamins
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:30:30 PM by jimmurray3 » Logged
Bill Woods

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »

See your post and thought give a shout.  Raising birds can be fun but di-appositing at times because it is a high risk business. So you need to be prepared for the good aand the not so good. But thats life.

Your topic is feed - you may want to read my post under raising and brooding gamebirds. I have (hopefully had and gone) a situation where it is believed to have a feed issue. I don't want say it is 100% sure until I get test results finalized. I also don't want everyone who has dying birds running to their dealers/suppliers crying wolf. Thats what forums are for - when issues comeup ask the expert and the majority of feed dealers are not experts, They are only pushers of a product of the manufacturer. Same for vitamins, wormers, etc.

Word of caution - if you are serious in raising birds (pheasants and quail can be very touchy) you need to have a backup feed plan.

So not to repeat/clutter this post you may want to read my posts under raising and brooding pheasants and the one under poultry production on a person's topic of Nutrena feed.

Been in the business for many years raising thousands BW/pheasants and waterfowl. I don't consider being an expert(for legal reasons) but I have gone through a lot and still new stuff happens every day.

Good luck. Enjoy but be aware life is not always fair when raising birds not matter how much care and work goes into it.  I get about 4 - 5 hrs sleep a day, no weekends off, 365 days, making vitually no money (lovely economy),  - but I am still in it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »