Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hot incubator. How long 'til chicks die?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hot incubator. How long 'til chicks die?  (Read 16033 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« on: July 31, 2007, 07:10:35 PM »

Well, in the spirit of killing chicks, today, I let my incubator get too hot.  Ambient temperature was up, but not the highest it has been, by far.  Humidity, here, has been down a couple of days, so I think the humidifier boilers (which have been running more, to keep the humidity in the incubator up) caused the elevated temperatures.

That really doesn't matter at this time.  My concern is how soon will I be able to estimate my losses?  All I've heard, and read tells me none, or very few will make it.  The fellow I bought the eggs from says they should be dead, by now.

At 11:30 this morning, the incubator reading was 100.1, the temperature inside the egg trays, between the eggs was 99.8.  This is pretty normal, with this incubator, readings fluctuate no more than .3 degrees down from this, and .6 degrees higher.  Ambient temperature was about 82-84 (I just glanced at thermometer).  At 2:00 P.M., incubator temperature was 102.8, egg tray temperature was 103.7.  Ambient temperature was 89.  The cooling compressor was running, but, it doesn't cool much.  Egg tray temperature rose to 103.9 after I had opened the doors, and directed a fan into the incubator.  I'm thinking, (hopefully)  the temperature was just rising at the time I checked, and they weren't too hot, too long.  Not much chance, I know.  At 5:00 P.M., I opened 9 eggs, one was infertile, the others were fully developed, and moving, but only for a few seconds.

What I need to know is how long are chicks likely to live after reaching these temperatures, if they are going to die from it?   This is the 16th day of incubation.  I need to make arrangements for chicks, or more eggs, as soon as possible, if most die.  If it matters, these are Chukar eggs.  No guesses, on this one, please.  Thanks;

Jack
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:43:35 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »

Jack,
Last month we had a day in California that got up to 120 degrees.  The GFI in my brooder and incubation areas tripped.  The temp found in the rooms at the time was 130 degrees.  My incubator temps (best we could tell) reached about 122 degrees.  I candled a few days later and there were several dead germs.  However I let most ride.  I ended up with about a 25 percent hatch and the chicks are doing fine. 

So my point is, don't be too hasty to get rid of the eggs.  Wait a few days and pull the obvious ones.  But let the others ride.  It would be better to get a few than none at all. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »

I remember that, glad to hear you had that good a hatch.  Miraculous, considering.  Most of the people I've talked to today think those that will die are probably already dead, but that survivors may not get out of the eggs as well, due to nervous system damage. ????  Guess that makes sense.  Most also seem to think I caught it in time, and won't have great losses.

Did you have a higher lose rate with some species/subspecies, than others?  I seem to remember you having a mixed hatch going.

By comparison, my eggs staid pretty cool, huh?

25% would be worth the electricity (750) but I would be way short. 

Anyone within 150 miles, or so, of Springfield Mo. who will have day old to week old chicks Aug 8-10, let me know how many, and how cheap.  Thanks;

Jack

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:16 AM »

If they were going to die from the heat, they would have been dead already. Im not sure why you opened 9 eggs rather then just candling them???

We don't know how long your temp was at 103. According to your time, it was atleast 3 hrs. at that temp. You should still get a good hatch. Maybe some deformaties...maybe none. I say you'll get above 25% hatch considering they are fertile. Only way not to guess is to candle them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:58:33 AM by aKirA » Logged
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »

I did have a mixed hatch.  I lost all my turkey's.  Only lost about 50% of my bobwhites.  About half of my ringnecks.  Lost all my Red Golden's, Yellow Golden's and Mountain Quail.  And about 75% of my Valley's.  Those were all eggs that were about 25% finished.  I did notice that the younger the germ, the higher loss.  The older ones had a higher hatch rate.  Now I did have some in the hatcher at the time and lost all of those.   I did notice a higher death rate in hatched chicks, with in a couple of days they seemed really weak and died.  But the ones that survived are doing fine.  So when I say 25%, I am meaning to this point.  Eggs into the incubators till now about 1-3 weeks old.  I would say the bobwhite's came through the best.

I would suggest not opening any more eggs. (Not sure why you did that).  Just candle them in about a week.  It does not sound like you reached those temps for too long.  The temp inside the egg was probably different then your tray temp anyway. 

Just wait and see.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »

wildergamebirds,
Any luck on your eggs? They should be hatching right about now..

good luck!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »

Thanks for asking, your math is pretty good!

Still a few pipping, but it's nearly over.  I won't know for sure, until I box them up, after my nap, but it definitely looks like at least 2/3 are hatched, or are pipping seriously.  That will give me the two thousand I need.  From now on, if I need a certain number of chicks by a certain date, I'll set three eggs for every chick I need.  It might take a little longer to get my money back, but won't be as hard on my nerves.  Like Danny Glover said in Die Hard (and Maverick)  I'm gettin' too old for this...

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »

Wow, 2/3 very nice.  See patience is a virtue.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »