Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:23:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Site Announcements/Promotions/Feedback
| |-+  Site and Forum Announcements/ Feedback
| | |-+  Auctions Page
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Auctions Page  (Read 4942 times)
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« on: April 04, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »

I am writing this here to avoid posting in threads that are off topic.  As many of you know there are changes taking effect on eBay that is restricting the sale of eggs to ship using Express Mail instead of Priority Mail.  That Quail Place has an auctions page up and running and we have several members that use it but it needs to be used on a more frequent basis in order to gain attention.  Not enough people are using it to benefit the sellers in keeping their items competitive.  I only use it to help keep it active and would rather not post into it at all.  We can thank some organizations (which I cant name here myself) that contribute to the ongoing events we continuously see in this field.  That Quail Place was created 13 years ago for the betterment of gamebirds and we have grown to a huge amount of members and the site has over a million hits per year.  I've said this in the past but I'd like to see this site continue this process by hoping to make the auctions pages to compare with other similar sites of its nature. I'm even proposing if we can get the traffic on the auctions pages to cut the fees to next to nothing if not do away with them altogether.  Many other sites arent kept up and alot of people get ripped off on them.  Our advantage is that its not really new but its clean and open and we have the chance to make it a worthwhile place for the community.  To give our members not only a place to help sell their items its also a place to read and learn just about anything you want to know about birds.  Some great people have contributed to this site over the years especially with articles and columns and without them and you this site wouldnt be possible.  What can we do to make the auctions stand out more?  I'm up for any comments or suggestions.  I'd rather not change the programming but simple changes and additions can be made.  How about a new .com name that points directly to the auctions?  Of course it can still be accessed the same way but adding a new name but may be a good way to remember it.  Any ideas? Yes-No? Some ideas.......

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:37:30 AM »

This is regarding the Forum only.
Well my idea would probably piss off alot of sellers hahahaha. But hey...Im all for fairness.

Like many sites...why even allow pple free advertisement on the forum? You run a business...and pple run a business selling on your forum for free. If it were me...dealers would only be allowed to addvertise on the forum if they pay a monthly sponsor fee. They would get a banner or add on a page and be allowed to advertise in the forum etc. Otherwise selling on the forum would be prohibited and considered spam. But that's only me.

If I was selling on your site...I would have the decency to pay you for allowing me to.

And if you dealers hate me for this....."I don't care." ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:40:11 AM by aKirA » Logged
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »

If you're going to create a .com entry to take you to the auction page, I'd consider all the other folks on this forum that raise all the other gamebirds instead of just quail.  Maybe something like GamebirdAuctions.com

Thanks Larry, for all you do for us!

Happy Easter To all...

John
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:42 PM »

Having the Auction site as its own front page would definately grab more attention. It would register on internet searches etc. After that...it's all advertising. You can contact other gamebird sites etc. and ask if you can advertise your auction site with them etc. Once the traffic is there, Im sure more dealers will start selling.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »

Thanks for everyones input.  I was thinking of a .com name the past several months for the auctions but havent really gave it much attention until recently.  I will check the registrations to see whats available.  I already have one good name (gamebirdauctions.com) but not sure if its available.  Anyone else with some recommendations?  By Saturday night I plan to have a new site name registered.

As far as charging for the use of this site that is a good recommendation although as I stated in the past I have no intentions of making this site a "fee" site.  As far as I'm concerned this site was created with the game bird enthusiast in mind and if it wasnt for the members of this site it wouldnt be what it is today.  Many members have contributed to not only the forum but to the overall integrity of its contents and I dont want to take away that cause.  The only thing I have done was link my site to this one on the main page.  If anyone on here needs anything and purchases it from me I appreciate the business but I am in no way going to push any sales into this site.  The books are generally the only thing within this site that generates some sales and they go towards the upkeep and expenses generated here.  There are many great sellers out there and some just need to be seen and there are others that are simply not worth the time.  Thats why alot of people hate selling on eBay and other sites as its not really managed.  I want to give our members here the opportunity to buy and sell without having to worry about if they are going to receive their items or not.

Any suggestions on names?

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »

As far as charging for the use of this site that is a good recommendation although as I stated in the past I have no intentions of making this site a "fee" site.  As far as I'm concerned this site was created with the game bird enthusiast in mind and if it wasnt for the members of this site it wouldnt be what it is today.  Many members have contributed to not only the forum but to the overall integrity of its contents and I dont want to take away that cause. 

Any suggestions on names?

Larry
I agree that there are many great long time contributers. Then there are also members who just register and advertise never to be seen again. But I truely respect your decision.

I'll post some domain names if I come up with any. ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »