Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:20:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  When do they stop hatching?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When do they stop hatching?  (Read 4471 times)
areadshaw
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:40 AM »

I am hatching bobwhite quail. This is currently day 29 of incubation. They began hatching on day 23. They are still hatching. When will they stop??
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30:39 AM »

They should have already been done.  I've had a couple go as much as 4 days past the due date. The majority should hatch on or near the due day. Are the late hatchers doing alright, or do they have anything wrong with them? As long as their hatching, just let them go and keep the hatcher running!  Good Luck.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »

I've had them go for 6 days, but the few that hatched at the end were very weak and didn't make it.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:31:10 PM »

the few that hatched at the end were very weak and didn't make it.

Likewise.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
pande45099
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:33:34 AM »

sounds like temp too low
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »

sounds like temp too low

tigermtsirius
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »

This is my first time hatching.  I had 50 pharoah quail eggs.  They started hatching exactly on the date due (2 days ago).  Last night I had one die trying to get out of the shell, and then two more this morning that hatched ok, but seemed weak. I have 30 (out of 50 eggs left unhatched).

Question #1, should I pull these chicks out at 12 hours after hatch?  How long could/should I leave the weak chick in the incubator?  They are breathing and able to walk, but seem to mostly lay flat on their stomach, next to each other head to the side.

Question #2, how long do I leave the incubator running after hatch day (tonight is day 19).  When you think no more will hatch, is it worth cracking the remainder of the eggs open?

(FYI) I have one pie section of my incubator that NONE hatched from.  Two sections that hatched halfway, and a few sections that hatched a couple.  Uneven heat?  I ahve the brower top hatch incubator.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

sounds like temp too low

I would have to agree. Although I have done a little experimenting and have come to the conclusion that uneven heating of the eggs in these styrofoam incubators is more of my problem than anything.

Up the temp.....eggs start hatching 24 hrs early and will hatch for at least 4 days.

Lower the temp.....eggs start hatching late on due date or after due date and still hatch for at least 4 days.

The majority will hatch within a 24 hr period no matter what the temp is.  I also move the eggs from the center to the outer, and vise-versa when candling.......same thing no matter what. Changing the temp just seems to change the start of the hatch, but always last for at least 4 days or more.

If I had Reeves money, I'd go out and buy me one of those nice incubators, but I don't.     :mrgreen:

Sorry, I forgot.......Reeves don't need an incubator when his birds have 3 acres per bird.....they hatch them themselves!    That's cheatin'!     :angel:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:04:49 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

Sorry, I forgot.......Reeves don't need an incubator when his birds have 3 acres per bird.....they hatch them themselves!    That's cheatin'!

:laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »