Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2021, 10:53:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42418 Posts in 6015 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Quail eggs in a sportsman model 1202
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail eggs in a sportsman model 1202  (Read 1876 times)
jwsbrittanyranch

« on: June 30, 2006, 08:39:44 PM »

I know the sportsman is design to incubate large amount of eggs at one setting so the question is if your only going to set 120 would you keep them together on one tray or spread them out and what level would be best because I know air movement is different when being full . I have been raising day old chicks for years but first time at incubation.
Thanks for any help.
J.W.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 08:53:53 PM »

I would recommend using the 124 egg trays designed for the cabinet incubators when using them.  If you incubate 120 eggs in a tray that is designed to hold close to 500 double stacked the eggs will roll all over the place when its turning and you will most likely have cracked eggs or hairline cracks you cant see which can explode on you.  Theres nothing worse than cleaning the mess from exploded eggs inside a cabinet incubator.  You can also use paper mache trays but the plastic trays will allow better circulation. 

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:34:23 AM »

hey,
    as far as tray placement goes - i would say put it in the middle of the 3 trays. i dont sent eggs in gqfs anymore because my Nature Forms to better but i occasionally do hatch a few eggs in them when i am doing tests and i have noticed that if i do not fill the hatcher with eggs that the middle of the machine is by far a better place for the eggs.
   Also i noticed when i am hatching them that the dial on the side of the machine is not that accurate - I have clear doors on mine and i placed a thermometer in the middle of the eggs and it was reading 102.7 while the one on the side was at 99.5
go figure
   but otherwise just use a good egg tray and and place it in the middle tray. if you are worried about any missed cracked eggs candle them first but if not that is fine too a quail egg does not blow up so bad compared to an ostrich egg - oups!
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
jwsbrittanyranch

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 06:21:34 PM »

Thanks Red Oak and KC for the advice. I do have the egg trays and will be getting my eggs in a couple of days. I will put them in the middle level and
while im waiting i will take temp readings at different levels.
Thanks again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »