Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  How much to charge for eggs/birds?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much to charge for eggs/birds?  (Read 8603 times)
lhamid
« on: January 04, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »

I have lots of Dark Range quail eggs and chicks. Now I am thinking of selling eggs for eating.  I sell chicken eggs (large brown from Buff Orps) for $2/dozen. How much should I charge for quail eggs?

Also, I am going to ask the feed store if they want to buy chicks in the spring. How much should I ask for chicks?

At some point I'll have mature birds for sale. How much do adult hens go for? (I was thinking young layers $5 each, males $3 each, does that sound about right?)
scc
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:29:45 PM »

I sell eggs for 15.00 a 100. Dressed birds I sell bobs for 3.25 and A&M's for 3.00 each. Live they are 2.50 each. Dayolds are .50 each.
lhamid
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 06:32:40 PM »

Thanks for your reply!  What are bobs (bobwhites?), and what are A&M's (another breed of quail)?  My birds are Jumbo Dark Range Coturnix. I don't think I'll be selling dressed birds, we will eat what we dress. I will be selling eggs for eating and hatching, and live birds though.  Thanks again!

'Dressed birds I sell bobs for 3.25 and A&M's for 3.00 each'
squirrelhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 05:54:41 PM »

A and Ms are yet another hybrid created from the coturnix. Not certain of their purpose though, meat bird I believe. Yes, Bobs is lingo for bobwhite. Do you need a license for selling coturnix? in wisconsin you don't because they aren't native. But anyway, since most of the customers at the feed store will be farmers and bird dog trainers bobwhite quail would be better for selling for that purpose.
lhamid
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:28:03 AM »

I think if the feed store wants to buy chicks, they will like the Dark Range quail. They are quite big and meaty (for quail).  I beleive they are considered a Jumbo coturnix.  I don't know if you need a license to sell them. But they have a poultry auction close to my house the 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month. I am sure I could sell birds there with no license. Lots of ethnic people go there to find ducks, chickens, rabbits, doves etc. to eat. They also have game birds (I have seen Golden and Lady Amhurst pheasants there). I'll think about trying the auction too when the weather gets wamer if I have too many birds. Something tell me I won't have extra birds, my husband said he is planning a 'quail party' in the spring!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »