Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Lights for breeder pens ( now with pics)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lights for breeder pens ( now with pics)  (Read 9233 times)
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »

1st off I'd put the hinges on top so the door stays closed until your ready to get in the cage and not have to worry about them getting out if its down. I keep my lights on 24/7 and I have the lights every 10' and if the birds are in light then it'll keep them awake and they'll lay. If you wanted to get a timer and after you've got them to laying have it set to go off for 6-8 hours a day as stated in post earlier. I use 1/2x1 and I agree 1/4" is too small unless your using it as a brooder. The poop will eventually clog up here and there but i do have it in some of my pans and its a big pain to keep it clean. I have some of my pens on my website. www.tlsgamebirdfarm.com Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
bucking-horse

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »

1/4 wire mite be to small for breeder pens but I have two brooders with it it works great there but I use paper towel on them for about two are three weeks
                                                                                              Chris in southwest Ga

chris williams
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

when the birds hit 2 weeks the 1/4 in wire will not let the poop pass through
but the pens look good 
there is 2 things i would do 
1 put plastic on the bottom of the dropping pan   this will keep poop from sticking to it
2 put wood pellets in the dropping pan  this will really keep the smell down
i have a small brooder inside the house that i keep the chicks in for 3 days  befor they got to the one out side and i cant smell anything  with the wood pellets
icemanweb59

Personal Text

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:01 AM »

Thanks again for all of the tips! 

I will be reversing the hinges soon.  I discovered that problem today when I got my quail.

I got two types.  20 Texas A&M and 30 Pharaoh Quail.  They are all settled in nicely and even laid 3 eggs on the way home.  Although I expect them to not lay until they are comfortable. 

I can see what you mean about the poop clogging the mesh.  I will be changing it out in a couple of days.  1/2 inch will work fine?

I will post more pics as soon as i catch up on some other stuff!

Jeremy!
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 02:40:39 AM »

yes 1/2 will be ok or 1/2X1   i use both for floors
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »

Nice work!   tu2

In my opinion, the 1/4 inch wire is best for up to a week, then after that, it's nothing but trouble. It tends to decrease straddle leg problems over using paper towels and doesn't need to be changed. It is no fun changing out floor coverings in a brooder full of birds.   Ideally a split brooder with 1/4" on one side for the first week and a door that could be opened into another section with 1/2" flooring would be great!

Good Luck!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bucking-horse

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »

Charliehorse your split brooder sounds good I might do that on my next brooder.
                                                                        Chris in southwest Ga.

chris williams
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »