Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Silt Fence?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silt Fence?  (Read 3788 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: April 27, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »

Has anyone ever tried using silt fence at the base of the walls of their flight pen?

I'm starting to build a flight pen measuring 96' x 132' and was thinking about using silt fence for the bottom 2' of the side walls and trenching the silt fence in.  I figure this will provide the out of sight out of mind concept and also be able to trench it in to somewhat prevent digging under.  I will also run a two wire electric fence around the pen for added protection.  I have shade cloth to go 4' above that and then 1" x 1" to finish the sidewalls.

I know tin is the best way to go to be safe but $25 a sheet now is !@#$!

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »

Run around the countryside and find an old fallen barn, they're everywhere around here. Alot of people will let you have the metal roofing and it's usually easy pickins.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »

Thanks... I'm going to talk to a few people and see what I find.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:06 AM »

You mean that black felt like stuff ?
Any type of digger, including mice, would go through it like it wasn't there.

You can bury welded wire.

or

Try finding the used chain link that is galvanized & plastic coated. I have 9ga galvanized chain link buried and expect it to out last me :  http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4167.15
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »

Yeah, thats the stuff.  I used it last year on a small pen but it also had 1" poultry wire on the back side of it.  I'm just trying to figure ways to pinch pennies.  Last year, the 150'x 3' roll of poultry wire I used was $150.  Small pen, OK... Big pen,  big $$.  The posts of Dan Snyders Game Farm show that he has some sort of fabric at the bottom and it doesn't look like anything behind it.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »

Shop around for chain link. That is way too much for chain link, even in Canada !
Maybe because 3' is not a standard size ?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »

One real quick search for up here and I found this: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Chain-Link-Fencing-in-Camrose-W0QQAdIdZ123816731
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

Sweet Deals!   :grin: I'll be right there!  I've tried checking on Craigslist with no luck yet.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »