Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  spiders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: spiders  (Read 26500 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »

I was wondering if there are any spiders that would be bad for newly hatched quail?
I found a small one in the brooder today and removed it.
We have some really large wolf spiders around here. Leg spans are wider than the chicks with bodies about an inch long. spider

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »

I would say the most likely harm would be from banging their heads together while running for the spider snack.  A wolf spider might put up a little fight, it wouldn't be good to have a brown recluse bite a chick, but over all, I'd say a heard of chicks would come out on top.  Spiders would not be as hard on the chicks as spider spray would.  If you'll have the brooder empty for a couple of months, you should spray, then.

A Wolf Spider vs. One hundred Chicks video might make National Geographic TV.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »

wildgamebirds What could you spray in a building to get rid of spiders that wouldn't hurt the birds or chicks if anything? thank ya Jim
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »

Nothing that I know of, in spray form.  If you mean while the chicks are actually in the building.  If they are in brooder rings, not stacked wire brooders, you might get by with spraying along a wall, if carefull, and doors are open.

Moth balls/crystals would be semi-safe with enough air circulation, you have to guess what's enough.  That's a good repellent, if you put it in cracks around walls, in corners, and such, before the chicks hatch.  Fumes shouldn't be a problem, once it's down in the cracks, well.   Under foundations, and cracks on the outside might be a deterrent, but might drive them on into the building.  I really like it (paradichlorobenzene)

Sevin, or Diatomaceous Earth are pretty safe, but I don't know how effective they are on particular varieties.  I think I remember something about sevin for brown recluse, but better research that.

frank_lap_127
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:36:21 AM »

spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider
Bug killing DE works great, it's not supposed to kill animals but I wouldn't take chances because of the poison mix is it to kill the bigger insects.

I already saw spiders with a blody length of 3'' here near of rivers (= full of dragonflies exiting from water).
 spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider spider
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »

Kids and their Icons !

Does make an interesting border.

Jim, in case you don't know, DE is not a poison, it is finely ground, or naturally dust-like skeletal remains of small aquatic animals.  It is, in fact, a food additive.  Only effect it has on mice, for instance, is to deworm them, and make them healthier, so they can live and breed, longer.  One more reason for the moth balls.

frank_lap_127
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »

Wilder,
You don't know of what you are talking. There's the DE used to worm birds that is used as a food aditive and that is not toxic. But the DE used to kill bugs got poison had to it, that's why it's a pain in the butt for me to get non-toxic DE while I could get a bottle of toxic DE for $5 at the hardware, make some research before to criticize!

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »

BY GOD BOY !  YOU DONE STEPPED IN IT NOW  !!

Charliehorse tried to warn you.

One man agrees with you on one part of a subject (offensive to some degree to about 85% of the American population), and you think that means you are right about everything that crosses you immature, alcohol damaged brain.  You often pick up half of a sentence, then misquote it, later, as if it were truth, and from your experience.  A small part, but very small part of the problem is translation.  However, everyone here (including me) has allowed for that, a lot.  When you take time to think, and write, you are mostly understandable (even by closed minded old assholes).  Please note, if punctuation marks are present, in some of my words, I did not type them in, this time.  And I do not approve of their use to dilute my well thought out opinions.

First, if you haven't had your head buried too deep in your colon, you absolutely have to know that in every post I have made, before this one, I have specified to be careful about a type of DE that is toxic.  It is NOT a poison.  I know Jim has been part of the threads in which I posted these warnings.

I was up all night with a pregnant pup, (not just wasting my time trying to get along with you).  So......., I was a little too tired to type my "patented" warning.  Adrenalin is making up for that, now.  You say it is in a bottle?  That would make us tend to think it was a liquid.  Is that so?  I'm always willing to learn (even though I'm a closed minded old @$$@).  Please provide a link to the product, the company that makes it, or post a picture of the label.  I'm sure the folks at the hardware store wouldn't mind.  If there is a different DE product that we need to be careful of, I'm sure everyone would appreciate the help.

" "You don't know of what you are talking. There's the DE used to worm birds that is used as a food aditive and that is not toxic. But the DE used to kill bugs got poison had to it" "

The DE that is "used to worm birds" also is used to kill bugs, that's one reason it is added to feeds and grains.   

"make some research before to criticize!"

You've got to be F** king  Kidding me !

If you haven't been taught to respect your elders, you damn sure need to respect your betters!

(that one's for you, slider)

I wish I were half as intelligent as you must be.  To have learned so much.  Exactly how many decades have you been using DE to "worm birds"?

How many decades have you been using DE to do anything?

How many decades have you been Raising Game Birds?

If you want to play in the big boy yard, you need to learn to eat sand, take a punch, or be invisible, and silent ! 

You can play kid games all you want, sneaking around with PMs and texting.  But you may well get a surprise in thinking someone is on your side.  I am about as sneaky and subtle as a chainsaw, you'll know where I am, and that unlike you, will not be blown around by every wind of thought.

All liberally educated drones give up and scurry from the light of truth.

frank_lap_127
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »

Funny to see how, what to say... bored? "brain-locked" you can be? Anyway, there's DE like on this bottle that got a quantity of poison in it, it says it's not toxic for animals like dogs, cats or humans, but I don't think it would be a great idea to feed your Bobwhite with this... In human case, you can try to eat the whole bottle if you want to see if it's toxic but I would personnally try and don't recommend to try...

If you haven't been taught to respect your elders, you damn sure need to respect your betters!

I've been told to respect the respectful people, respectless people are just of no interest.

If you want to play in the big boy yard, you need to learn to eat sand, take a punch, or be invisible, and silent ! 
  How many decades have you been Raising Game Birds?

Maybe you kept game birds for a longer time than me, but unfortunately you'll be dead when I'll be 54 and you won't see that I will kick my butt all my life to get more knowledge than you, I'm  not even afraid to say it... It remembers me your knowledge on Golden Pheasants, I hope you were kidding...

If I don't get punch I don't attack, but I'm not afraid to defend myself. If you have to give a "hit", go strong cause you won't have a second.

I have heard it's a no-end battle in each case with you, probably because you are too bored and mindless to see that sometimes human is naturally wrong and can learn from its mistakes but you seems to be so perfect that you can't do mistakes. So you are free to tell as much $h!t on me as you want, I don't even care cause you're too ridiculous.

About my bad english, you still didn't answer to my PM but writhe what I am saying in french or in spanish! When you'll be able to kick your butt in a place where there's only one language spoke and that you will learn new languages, I will appreciate to see if you can do best. Just give it a try, like MOI

Anyway, just keep in mind I've never been so direct with an older person, but your lack of respect is for sure, making me sick.

:wink:

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »

Keep pushin', poodle-boy.

greyghost
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:08:59 PM »

Wilder, Frank, please chill. I am not a pacifist in any way, trust me! I'm 23 and 2. I love to fight, but this is not the place to do it.
 Steve and I and many others enjoy the time spent here. I have learned alot. From you Wilder, and from Frank.
 Can we agree to disagree? Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it!
 By the way I hatched 9 Coturnix Quail today, so I win!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:25:16 AM »

wildgamebirds What could you spray in a building to get rid of spiders that wouldn't hurt the birds or chicks if anything? thank ya Jim

Thanks for the picture, that's exactly what I needed.  You can be very helpful when properly motivated.

Jim, I am so sorry.  I did not intend to suggest using Insect Stop Insecticide.  That was a terrible mistake on my part.  Can you forgive me?

What I intended to suggest was Sevin, or Diatomaceous Earth.  And possibly using Moth Balls, or moth crystals (Paradichlorobenzene)  I mention the chemical name, because they now sell  " herbal moth repellents ".  I have no idea how safe they are, but they do not claim to repel any other insects, or arachnids.  The true Para moth balls repel ticks from hay, straw, and growing grass, so I assume spiders, and crabs would go as well (if you're man enough to try it).

However, since Insect Stop Insecticide is (according to it's label), 100% Diatomaceous Earth, consisting of Ninety Two and One Half percent silicon dioxide, I now suggest you use that brand, if it is readily available, or any other brand THAT IS NOT INTENDED FOR SWIMMING POOL USE, and is not calcined or flux calcined.  These products, though not containing poison per se, can be toxic to mammals and probably to birds.

The container in the picture Mister Frank was gracious enough to post, is what I have previously refereed to as a puffer bottle.  If you buy in 50 lb. bags, you can buy a catsup, or mustard dispenser from your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart store, my favorite is at 750 107E rue.  That way, you have about $.50 US per lb., total cost, or $1 US, if you have to have it shipped.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »

I don't understand a darn thing on that label.   Maybe 2 or 3 words. 

Is that Mexican writing?

:-|

I use mothballs too, for numerous reasons.  I throw them all around buildings and pens, haven't seen a snake in years.  I couldn't elaborate on any bug killing/deterant qualities. Put some in the tank of a motorcycle once, it ran like it was on NOS (Nitreous)......... for a little bit.........then locked up.   :grin:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:48:54 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »

Suspend works as well. There was a discussion on either ants or lady bugs, a while back.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
frank_lap_127
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »

Charlie,
It's not Spanish it's French.

Frank
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »