Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Full time income
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full time income  (Read 13769 times)
XLCR

« on: September 07, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »

In a couple years I'm planning on raising quail and pheasant. I have 2 1/2 to 3 acres in the back of my place. Is that enough room for this to be my full time income or will I need more space for more bird pens?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »

In my oppinion, that's not enough room, if you plan on anything like 50% from Pheasant.

I have two questions, one for you, one for everyone else who has actually raised and sold more than a few.

1.  How many years have you been raising Quail?        Pheasant?

2.  Has anyone here, made enough to support a small family sooner than the fifth year?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
XLCR

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »

I raised a few quail  for about 3 years. I sold what I had and didn't start back up the next year. I still have all the incubator/hatcher equipment and other items. I thought I'd take it to a much bigger level this time.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »

Support a small family...He!! I cant support myself on them..Make sure that you have a buyer lined up before you hatch the first egg.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
XLCR

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »

Maybe I'll work to have enough to supplement my income. I'll have to put some figures on paper and see how much I need to supplement and how many it'll take to do that.

Thanks.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:28:16 AM »

I am not trying to be a smart @$$, but if you want a good business or hobby to increase retirement income, and you have any woodworking skills, build porch swings...that is what I do and I have increased my retirement income on an average of 6 to 9 hundred $ a month and it could be much more if I wanted to put the time into it...just a thought it works for me...I can build a good solid 5ft. swing in 3 hours and clear 85$ on it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

I am not trying to be a smart @$$, but if you want a good business or hobby to increase retirement income, and you have any woodworking skills, build porch swings...that is what I do and I have increased my retirement income on an average of 6 to 9 hundred $ a month and it could be much more if I wanted to put the time into it...just a thought it works for me...I can build a good solid 5ft. swing in 3 hours and clear 85$ on it.

Sh**, son, maybe we are related (and bigfoot, too).  A  few years ago, I built a few gliders, and porch swings when I was in Tennessee.  Had a supply of dry Sassafras, and of course oak was everywhere for 30 cents a foot, or less. Sassafras was more popular, and easier to work.  I suppose you use cypress, down there.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06:43 PM »

I knew it all along s020 ...Cypress it is...easy to work with also like  a little cedar when I can get some from N. Arkansas...

greyghost
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »

s6 Hey xlcr, what is an xlcr. I ride a '69xlch. are we on the same page?
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »

Is that like a Sportster CH  ?

XLCR

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »

XLCR was the name of a band I headed up. We had Christian ties so the "LCR" is Lord Christ Risen. It is pronounced "excellcier". Probably more information than you wanted to know but you asked.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:56 PM »

That would make for one of those personalized license plates, no one would get.

Once you hear it read, what else could it have possibly been? 

By the way, from the first time I saw it, I also just assumed it was Harley related.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:21:52 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »

XLCR - You'll need to raise 10's of thousands to support your family.  Of course, that is dependant upon your bills and accustomed living style.  Time spent writing down your business plan will tell your true answer.  Each area of the country is different for overhead expenses and end product pricing.

3 acres will handle quite a few quail, but not that many pheasant.

Anyway, do the business plan and you'll have your answer.  Include any employees you'll need to hire to help with all the work.

btw - even the mcfarlanes of the world supplement sales with more than live flight birds to survive.
greyghost
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »

Slider, you are right! Ding, ding, ding! Yes the "Ghost" is 38 this year.
bkl

Personal Text

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

s144
s144 Retired , raise a few quail for my own use, don't post very much, find it more interesting in reading what is posted, but this post interest me. I do some woodworking, interested in talking to you about your swings. Email, bdm1956@wildblue.net
 Thanks bkl
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »