Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Housing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Housing  (Read 9968 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »

The commercial built breeding cages are about 10-12" square by about 24" deep, if that helps you any?  There was some pics of DIY breeding cages in the Build it section somewhere.  Look up member "JohninDixon" and look through his posts, if my memory is correct, I thought that he had some pictures and possbly even a link to his website for dimensions and pictures. He hasn't logged on for quite some time, don't know what happened to him?  :-|  There was others too.

I sort of would like them Today

s020

Yeah Reeves, quit messin' around!  Geezz!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »

I sort of would like them Today

s020

Yeah Reeves, quit messin' around!  Geezz!

Well, as polite as he is, now we know for sure, he really is a kid, not a pretender.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

Not trying to be difficult ! Just don't think it is a good idea to put critters in small pens.
I do understand how and why breeders do.
But for pets , as you want , I think it a bad idea. At least for Valley Quail. They are a very flighty bird. For what you are planning, you should go with something a lot more calm. Button Quail maybe ? I've seen some with very interesting colors....
Suz658
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

I'm planning on using one of these as a grower pen for Valleys - I'll check when I wake up but I think its 6' long by 3.5' wide, 5.5' at highest bit - I'm pretty sure a pair would be happy enough if you built something about same size.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

I wouldn't keep them in a small cage either. 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 11:23:40 PM »

I'm planning on using one of these as a grower pen for Valleys - I'll check when I wake up but I think its 6' long by 3.5' wide, 5.5' at highest bit - I'm pretty sure a pair would be happy enough if you built something about same size.

Don't shoot (or give me the pox) but, happy is a relative term, and "happy enough" is um er uh another relative.  You might be right, but this is another chance for me to preach about "disproportionate pen sizing".  I'll use comfortable, rather than happy.  Another relative term, but I know birds can be uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if they can be happy, or unhappy.

21 square feet for two birds may be enough.  Let's say it is.  Then 210 sq. ft. would be the same "degree of" enough space for 20 birds.  I bet the Quail in the larger pen will be more comfortable than the two in the smaller pen.  Put two in a 210 sq. ft. pen, and you might have "happy" birds!  Larger numbers of Valley Quail probably need plenty of sage brush, Ragweed, or schrubs to help them remain separate, and remain relatively civil.  I'm not sure they can be comfortable with less than 10-15 feet to fly.  That would be especially true with adult birds that were accustomed to flight space.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

I wouldn't keep them in a small cage either. 

Referring to Reeves statement.

Not referring to Suz658's pen, which  is a very nice pen. Much more "comfortable" than a everyday commercial type breeding cage.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »

Hey charlie, here's a hanky, you've got a little something there on your nose.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »

s020

Ain't that somethin' ?            s020

Not me, I'm a loyal member of the "He Man Woman Haters Club" (Lifetime Membership)  :evil:

You're one to talk anyway.   After all these years and all of a sudden, everybody's on there best behavior............pitiful!

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 01:50:22 AM »

If you think I'm on my best behavior, you've been missing some of my posts.

Not me, I'm a loyal member of the "He Man Woman Haters Club" (Lifetime Membership) 

Right.  You and Walter Williams and Ralph Cramdon.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »

Hey, I'm about as "He" as the next man, but I loves the ladies.

I learned when I was really young.  At family gatherings, and later at other gatherings.  Sit in the living room with a bunch of guys who fart, and smoke, and complain about their jobs, and never say anything smarter than "Hey man, how 'bout them Chiefs, Royals, Broncos, Bears..........

Or stand around in the kitchen.  Hmmmmm  I found out quick.  Women are softer, kinder, smell better, and have most of the food, and all the

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »

Or stand around in the kitchen.

Now that's funny..........me too!!   That's probably why I've been married 3 times, didn't learn anything important ( :evil:), and didn't pay enough attention as to why the other guys where somewhere else!!  They failed to fill me in on what was coming down the pike! But I can keep a clean house and do dishes!!...and cook.  :-|  The 50/50 thing didn't get it, as I was doin' 80 and part of the other 20.....and for cryin' out loud, I let them know about it!!   LOL!   My current wife (6 years) must be tougher than nails, I wouldn't put up with me for a week.  But she does her 50%, sometimes 51.   ^-^

Nate F.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Okay Reeves.... I'll try and build a nice big pen for the Valleys.  Not huge, but they should be "comfortable."  Thanks
-Nate

Everyone is entitled to my opinion
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

YEP...and I think the color is Brown...ish.... s020 Hey it never hurts to be nice to a woman never know when they will wake up in a good mood...course I wake up with this dog every morning (pitbull)..but he never complains...but he cant cook worth a damn...

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »

Hey, Nate, we sort of wallowed your thread in the mud, there.  Whining about those evil women.

One option to get a nice pen might be used material (like free pipe).  You might be able to build a pretty shelter similar to SUZ's. Then a more plain Jane excercise pen.  Cover that on the most visable sides with vines, and Hybiscus like Reeves suggests.  Maybe even use used material (barn wood?) for the shelter, and put on a nice, new roof. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »