Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  1/2' x 1/2'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1/2' x 1/2'  (Read 6336 times)
Enbawe Cortunix Quail

« on: April 16, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »

Is 1/2' x 1/2' wire to big for a quail brooder?

Good Enough Never Is
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »

For a quail brooder I would go 1/4x 1/4.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
laughingbear

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »

For a quail brooder I would go 1/4x 1/4.

Thats what i used, and they seem happy.  I would think that 1/2 inch would be to big...

But i am such a newbe that i should not even be posting!!

s144

Never meddle in the affairs of Hackers, Geeks, or Nerds.  For they are subtle and quick to anger.
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

Is 1/2' x 1/2' wire to big for a quail brooder?

::)  They'll fall right through a 6 inch square hole.   :-|   I'd go with the 1/2"x1/2".  :wink:  

Problem I had with 1/4", is that it tended to be more apt to plug up when the birds got older.  I have one manufacturered brooder with 3/8" square, it works great , although I have never seen it for sale by the roll.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

My pens are all set up as litter bottom pens. I push everything out onto the 1/2" wire at 5-6 weeks. I like the straw since it gives them something to pick at and not one anothers feet. With the wire there is no break up and they can see each others feet. Wire bottom pens are nice for flight pens but I dont think I would even start any birds on wire.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »

Use 1/2x1/2 and lay something like burlap over it until they are 2 weeks old then they will be big enough to walk on it without any problem..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

1/2 x 1/2 is okay except maybe with Button Quails, I'm gonna get my first chicks soon but I've read they pass thru...

Frank
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »

Hello, Like Adam said 1/4" IS needed unless you cover the bottom with something(burlap, paper towels, Hay, etc.) The quail chicks will go straight south and all you will see is their BUTTS sticking straight up and are mashed in the 1/2x1/2 and you gotta dig them out if they're still alive but you GOTTA cover the 1/2 x 1/2 for 7-10 days time then as I do I move them tru the divider into their next cage or I have a piece of 1/4x1/4x30" or 3' I place on top so I can use any cage or even my bigger pens for my meat birds(jumbo coturnix) I put it in the middle of my 8'x8'x6-8' and my brooder ring on top of the 1/2x1/2 with the 1/4x1/4  on top( 2 pcs. of 3'x6-8') of it and after the 7-10 days I remove the smaller wire as I'm removing the brooder ring. I take 2 pcs. of 3' wide 1/4x1/4x6-8" and I take it out and clean it, disinfect(Tek-Trol), and then let it dry. The birds are safe and happy they not stuck in the 1/4x1/4" with their BUTTS not sticking up for the others to pick at. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
jadartt

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »

Use 1/2x1/2 and lay something like burlap over it until they are 2 weeks old then they will be big enough to walk on it without any problem..

At 2.5 weeks I placed my Coturnix on 1/2x1/2 and several of them had difficulities.  The smaller buggers would lay down with their legs under them and somehow get their elbows wedged in the wire and needed help with extraction.  Some of them actually bloodied themselves up pretty good as I wasn't around to help as they were thrashing around.

At 3.5 weeks, none of them have had any trouble on the 1/2x1/2 wire.  This is just my 1 brooders worth of experience. 
makesmiles

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »

:laugh:  I have raised thousands of Coturnix on 1/2"x1/2" wire.  I cover the wire with paper towels the first week then remove it.  They always seem to do fine.

David
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »

I have always yanked the towels out of the brooder for BW's on 1/2" wire at the end of the first week without any problems whatsoever.

Although, I think that if the birds where on 1/4" wire from the first day with no floor coverings, there are less leg problems, such as straddle leg, etc.  But the 1/4" always seemed to be too small for me when they got a little older.

As far as putting a piece of 1/4" over the 1/2" for the first week or so, then removing it.............I wouldn't want to have to deal with the chaos that it would be to try to remove the wire in a brooder full of birds.   :-o  That would/could be a disaster.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:31:18 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:49:05 AM »

As far as putting a piece of 1/4" over the 1/2" for the first week or so, then removing it.............I wouldn't want to have to deal with the kaos that it would be to try to remove the wire in a brooder full of birds.   :-o  That would/could be a disaster.

I've considered this option.  The only way I can contrive, is to have a slot in one end of the brooder, from which one could remove the 1/4" wire, without trauma.  This would require a light framework, as the 1/4" wire is flimsy.  I have not built such a brooder, but it should work fine, especially in GFQ style stackable brooders.  I have either used 1/2" with paper, wood chip litter, Alfalfa litter (maybe the best), or moved them from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch at about two weeks.  I have also used expanded metal with about 1/2"X1/4" diamond shaped openings.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »