Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:42:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feed dust in bottom of feeders, What do you guys do with it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feed dust in bottom of feeders, What do you guys do with it?  (Read 5342 times)
coveyrun
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »

I feed Purina and after every filling of feeders the bottom inch or so seems to be just dust, should I throw it or will the birds eat it. What do you do?
quailacres
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 08:50:49 PM »

There is some risk in leaving the dust as is may contain mold spores that could be inhaled causing infections in the respiratory tract (such as aspergillosis) and it is also possible for mycotoxins to proliferate in feed dust left in the way you describe.
Don McGowan
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 10:18:31 PM »

I run mine thru a strainer,  and reuse the big stuff in the dust you would be surprised how much feed you throw away. cut my feed useage a lot
power
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 11:10:07 PM »

delet
Superbird
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 12:41:38 PM »

Sometimes I let the feeders get low. When they have to, they will eat a lot of these fines.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 09:09:44 AM »

I use the dust for the babies. I grind up their feed for the first week or so and I use the "dust" in the bottom of the larger birds also. I will strain it and I won't feed it to them if the larger birds have pooped in the feeder, which they do sometimes. I don't know about the mold spores or anything like that because the feed does not stay around long enough to get moldy.  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »