Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Gamebird feed substitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gamebird feed substitution  (Read 7198 times)
mark

« on: March 09, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

my local feed store ran out of my normal gamebird Finisher/Grower, they gave me Chick & Fryer crumbles but its medicated for Coccidiosis. It seems my birds have stopped laying eggs since switching to that feed, will this affect my birds that should be laying eggs. They should have my normal feed in this week, so will be switching back to it.

Any suggestions will help.

Mark
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »

Mark,

How long have they been on the regular chick and fryer crumbles
feed? Even though they are on a medicated feed, they should still be laying. I can't see that this change in feed for a short period would stop the birds from laying. There has to be some other variables involved.(temperature, heat, stress)

When your normal feed comes in, blend it with what you are feeding them now and then reduce the ration down to your normal feed.
Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »

Just wondering why you would use a Grower/finisher for laying hens, it is generally lacking the needed Calcium and other essential minerals, and has too high a protein level.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
mark

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »

Mark,

feed? Even though they are on a medicated feed, they should still be laying. I can't see that this change in feed for a short period would stop the birds from laying. There has to be some other variables involved.(temperature, heat, stress)

When your normal feed comes in, blend it with what you are feeding them now and then reduce the ration down to your normal feed.
Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

They have been on it for about a week. They are in the same breeding cages at the same temperature. Since they are my meat birds, will they be safe to eat or do I have to wait until they get back onto their regular feed.

Just wondering why you would use a Grower/finisher for laying hens, it is generally lacking the needed Calcium and other essential minerals, and has too high a protein level.

This are not my regular laying hens, They are my sets of meat birds. I have a set of Layers that I feed Gamebird Layer.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:03:01 AM »

Birds that are going to be used as human consumption are normally required to be free of any kind of medication for 14 days from the date started. So on the 15th day they should be safe to eat.

The same goes for eggs used for human consumption as well.

Just check the warning labels on all medications and the labels on medicated feed.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:12 AM »

Mark,

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

They have been on it for about a week. They are in the same breeding cages at the same temperature. Since they are my meat birds, will they be safe to eat or do I have to wait until they get back onto their regular feed.

This are not my regular laying hens, They are my sets of meat birds. I have a set of Layers that I feed Gamebird Layer.

I can't see why they would all stopped laying at the same time, for a change in food in just a week. Birds even on a very low protein diet will still produce eggs. Although the eggs may be lacking in size consistency and shell dexterity.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »

s6
Birds that are going to be used as human consumption are normally required to be free of any kind of medication for 14 days from the date started. So on the 15th day they should be safe to eat.

The same goes for eggs used for human consumption as well.

Just check the warning labels on all medications and the labels on medicated feed.

Not questioning this true statement, everyone should do just as Pheasant Hollow recommends, but this really makes a person wonder:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4357.0

Everything we eat and drink (including Pepsi and brews) is made with it.  Nice!!  :-|
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:00:16 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »

I used to hav the same problem of the local feed stores not having the feed that I regularly use and it made me really mad because I would have to buy what they had instead of what I wanted. So I found a feed store that is very reliable but 30 miles away from my locals that can order the type feed that I use and he told me what day each week that he placed his order and what day I needed to call him to place an order. I order enough feed for 1 month and order again when I hav used half of it in case he should have some problems with the mill. This way I always have plenty of feed on hand and the right feed and I do not hav to use what the locals just happen to have on hand.. This has worked very well for me and I hope that it helps some of you as well. The whole trick is to find a feed dealer that is serious about there business and cares about more than cattle and horse feed. Just my 2 cents..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

........I would have to buy what they had instead of what I wanted...... The whole trick is to find a feed dealer that is serious about there business and cares.......

And this would not include Tractor Supply Company (TSC) as a reliable source. Known in these parts as "Tough $hit Charlies".  Whatever you need, their response is, "Tough $hit Charlie, we're out of it"!!

:evil:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:06:39 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

mark

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »

........I would have to buy what they had instead of what I wanted...... The whole trick is to find a feed dealer that is serious about there business and cares.......

And this would not include Tractor Supply Company (TSC) as a reliable source. Known in these parts as "Tough $hit Charlies".  Whatever you need, their response is, "Tough $hit Charlie, because we're out of it"!!

:evil:

I would not even buy from TSC, went there one time for feed one he showed me the feed and the price I about laughed. 5 Lbs bag for $25

Mark
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »

Hello, This guy here in town that works for the postal UNservice said he buys his feed there and I told him its all powder and pricy he said his birds don't waste any of it at all. He's got pheasants and they eat a ton. His feed is $15 a bag where mine is $12.05 now up $5 in 8 months time. I guess its ground up so fine the birds can'r pick thru it so they eat it all. I might just give it a try again I got it at TSC when i ran out of feed but I buy enuff now so i don't run out. My jumbo XLD1's and Tx A&M's eat the highest protein I can get UNmedicated it stays in their body too long to give it to them so why take the chance of feeding something you eat the medications in it there's no sence in it unless its antibiotics when they are sick. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, TL
gone2hale

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »

I have a cortunix that has been on laying feed for nearly a month. Today she laid an egg that was more membrain and very little shell (this is the first time I've seen this) All her other eggs have been fine.  Cause?
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:11 AM »

Give the birds oyster shell could also be young bird and first egg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »