Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Box Brooder Parts Needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Box Brooder Parts Needed  (Read 21017 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: August 25, 2007, 02:21:57 AM »

This should probably be in the "Fix it Yourself" section, but there isn't any. 

I have this old sheetmetal box brooder that was Canadianed to me (it was free). It needs a new heating element (spring type).   I have no idea what brand or what its age is, I believe it to be very old (just guessing).  It only has one opening in the front (see pic), and a small solid sliding door in the rear. The element measures right close to 44" long, 110volt and I want 250 watts maximum.  If anyone can help send me in the right direction (supplier) and help identify this beast. I've included a couple of pics of course. I already have a new complete wafer thermostat, plus I would replace the wiring.......I just need the element or a element.   Any ideas  or thoughts greatly appreciated!

I'm willing to give up 63 of my Karma points and 3 Lucky Strikes :eek: to anyone who can help me get this thing running!  

Thanks!

(CLICK TO ENLARGE):

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:04:13 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »

I have a heating element for a Coleman RV electric furnace with an spring about that diameter (if I have the perspective right)  it would be about a foot shorter, but springs stretch!   If you find the right diameter in a shorter spring, you can connect two, or more together with a bolt, and nut.  I have also seen old bathroom wall heaters with a very similar element.  Heating supplier, or appliance repair/parts dealer might be your best bet.  What is the voltage and amperage(or wattage)?  Spring could be replaced with a heating element rod with little trouble.  I just bought a metal feeder to make a heater, using heat element wire from GQF incubator.  That is a lot smaller spring, and is 250 watt.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:02:36 AM »

Hey trailboss you didnt say if it was 22o or 110 volts but I have been around a/c and heating and plumbing my whole life and knew of a couple places to look. Well I was thinking about this and couldnt sleep and without knowing the voltage I can not pin point it but I am close. Try this site
http://www.thomasnet.com/catalognavigator.html?cid=1240320&cov=NA&which=prod&what=Heating+Elements&heading=37950805&searchpos=1&cnurl=http%3A%2F%2Faccutherm.thomasnet.com%2FCategory%2Faters-radiant-heaters-radiant-replacement-elements&prodpos=1&searchpos=1

now the first one is 110 but is only 22" long but 2 can be bolted to make one. 7th one down is 44" long but is for 220.  I will keep looking around and come up with something that will work. Also checked the Gqf website as I know the early model used a radient heater like that one for their heat source but they do not even show it on the website at all. So scratch that ideal. I can tell you when I first got married I had an old Harvest Gold colored Dryer from the 70s given to me and it had a similar heating element as that pictured and the same length but again that was 220 as well. Anyways let me know and I will keep looking for you.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:04:53 AM »

One last thought you might try the local appliance repair shop they carry tons of elements.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 06:41:13 AM »

that was Canadianed to me

:laugh:

You can also use a tiger torch. But only for about 10 minutes. Well, I guess that time can be adjusted by adjusting the distance from them. And if you want well done, or rare.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I guess that I was in hopes that someone would come along and say......."that's a vintage Brower Brooder  that was built in 1963, it is a Model T45 Super Deluxe Commercial Heavy Duty and the element can be puchased at Lucky's Heating Element Warehouse for $1.99, part #44250110".   LOL!  :eek:

It's 110 volt and I don't want over 250watt.  It has to be rated at 250watts or less (160-200 minimum).  The diameter (gauge) of the wire and length determine the wattage of an element, therefore, cutting or adding is out of the question and one can only be stretched a certain amount.

WHITNEYPLU, the minimum wattage on that site (that I seen) is about 800 watts!  LOL!, this is brooder, not a broiler!  :wink:  LOL!   Thanks a bunch, I checked it out.

I just had an idea (no jokes please). I went and looked at the heating elemnet in the my GQF cabinet incubator and just by calculating in my head it appears to be about 40" long, and I was thinking that they were 250 watts?  Regardless, of the wattage, it is designed to run off of the wafer thermostats and electronic (max 400 watts) thermostats.  I'm going to check it out.   EDIT:  Duh!  :???:, I just seen that "wilder" had already mentioned this,  I feel like a numbskull........AGAIN!  :x:

Thanks to everyone for the time and input.  You've given me some great ideas and links.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:06:17 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 01:11:31 PM »

I just bought a metal feeder to make a heater, using heat element wire from GQF incubator.  That is a lot smaller spring, and is 250 watt.

You wouldn't happen to know the length of that element would you?  As long as I can get it to fit, it would work.  It may not have as many coils, but the gauge of the wire appears to be alot larger.........110volt and 250 watt is 110volt/250watts no matter how you look at it.

EDIT:  I just looked at a pic of one of those GQF incubator elements at Cutlersupply and it looks like it's about a foot long unstretched, so measuring a new one may not tell me anything.  Can I get somebody to pull one out of there cabinet incubator and see if it will stretch to 44" without distorting it too much?  :grin:

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:32:10 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »

EDIT:  I just looked at a pic of one of those GQF incubator elements at Cutlersupply and it looks like it's about a foot long unstretched, so measuring a new one may not tell me anything.  Can I get somebody to pull one out of there cabinet incubator and see if it will stretch to 44" without distorting it too much?  :grin:

Thanks

Chuck.

Maybe be in your wildest dreams!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats Ha, hahahahaha.

Just order one from Cultlers and try it out! What's the problem? Sell some of Reeves excess pipe on Ebay and your set! :laugh:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »

Chuck.

Maybe be in your wildest dreams!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats Ha, hahahahaha.

Just order one from Cultlers and try it out! What's the problem? Sell some of Reeves excess pipe on Ebay and your set! :laugh:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
No kiddin! LOL Trail could prolly sell the brooder itself as antique/vintage on ebay for $1,000+ hehehe

Or just put a 100 wat bulb on it. :angel:
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »

I just bought a metal feeder to make a heater, using heat element wire from GQF incubator.  That is a lot smaller spring, and is 250 watt.

You wouldn't happen to know the length of that element would you?  As long as I can get it to fit, it would work.  It may not have as many coils, but the gauge of the wire appears to be alot larger.........110volt and 250 watt is 110volt/250watts no matter how you look at it.

Thanks

I have a GQF spring element, but it is much smaller diameter, so I didn't mention it.  I'll track it down, and measure it.  The GQF Brooder heater about that length is 1200 watt, or near that.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »

Chuck.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
No kiddin! LOL Trail could prolly sell the brooder itself as antique/vintage on ebay for $1,000+ hehehe

Or just put a 100 wat bulb on it. :angel:

There ya go, problem solved! Put the 100w bulb in and you are all set.

Thanks aKirA, why didn't I think of that, Thats right, quote from Reeves:
K.I.S.S.

from: trailbossusa on Today at 01:11:31 PM I have a GQF spring element, but it is much smaller diameter, so I didn't mention it.  I'll track it down, and measure it.  The GQF Brooder heater about that length is 1200 watt, or near that.

So what's the problem? Just use one of those and put a thermostat on it to regulate the temperature.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »

OK, you owe me a spring!  I stretched it to 44" and it snapped back to 34".  I didn't measure it before stretching, but it was between 12" and 18", closer to 18.  Diameter is between 1/8", and 3/16".  It came with with a screw on each end, but you could change that easily if size is wrong.  The label says it is 110 Volt/ 220 watt.  No.3014  I think that was from Cutler.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »

Tell me you didn't actually do this.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 05:07:13 PM »

I seen yer prolum now.  Yer wawrs busted!  Jest pull them two ends tugether, and givem a twist.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »

I seen yer prolum now.  Yer wawrs busted!  Jest pull them two ends tugether, and givem a twist.

There ya go, simple redneck fix. Keep it as simple as you can. The end justifies the means. Shake the change and put it in yer jar for a rainy day.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »