Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  pheasant chick food?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: pheasant chick food?  (Read 12351 times)
birdlover
« on: June 05, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »

Hi,
In my area, their aren't any pheasant chick feeds.  But their is a store that i went to recently, that sells a wide arrange of bird foods.  Some of the bird foods they have are: egg foods, handfeeding formulas, insects, seeds mixes, different variety of pellets, etc..   They do sell feeds that are intended for baby birds that has a good percentage of protein in it.  Maybe i could mix two feeds together to get the 28% protein for my pheasant chicks. 
What should i do?

Thanks!!
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »

You mean to tell me, that where you live, no one sells chicken food.  If they do, they can order Purena Startena which is a starter food for gamebird chicks.  Or use turkey starter.  Also almost every question you post can be found in the search area.  You can learn so much by researching your questions before posting them.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but the same questions get asked over and over again, when the information is right at your fingertips under "Search".

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 06:29:03 AM »

You mean to tell me, that where you live, no one sells chicken food.  If they do, they can order Purena Startena which is a starter food for gamebird chicks.  Or use turkey starter.  Also almost every question you post can be found in the search area.  You can learn so much by researching your questions before posting them.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but the same questions get asked over and over again, when the information is right at your fingertips under "Search".

Teresa,

It seems to me that this person does not have the desire to do research, or has limited brain capacity to retain what questions were asked and answered.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 06:53:43 PM »

I'd feed them a 28% protein gamebird chick feed.

What have you been feeding the chicks that you've had in the past?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »

hi,
well this is my first time with pheasant chicks.  Last year i hatched button quail and feed them a handfeeding formula, these button chicks needed about 22% protein. i understand that pheasant chicks require about 28%, but my area doesnt carry gamebird or poultry feeds, their is a bird store that sells a wide range of bird feeds, what should i do?                     Thanks!!!

I don't know what to tell ya.....not even any "turkey feed?"......I would surely think that a feed/bird/garden/chicken/Tractor Supply store could order you in a bag of feed.  Some of the feed stores in my area don't carry it either, but they'll get it for me in a day or two.

Is there electric in your area?     :angel:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:15:51 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

hehe...yea I think you may be going to the wrong stores. Try a Feed store. Look in your phone book for Feed and then make some calls to local Feed stores to check if they have any.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »

hi,
the only reason why i wrote a post to this question was because everyone buys their chick feeds at the feed store. In my area i dont have that, yet again i still did not get an answer as to what to feed them?  Why would i want to put my question under search when i know that everyone buys their chick feed in a nearby area, my area is different, just in case you dont know what different means :laugh:

Thanks!!!

I did tell you what to feed them.  Purena Gamebird Startena or Turkey Starter.  I would think before you started to raise them, you would have thought about what you were going to feed them.  A "Bird Store" is not going to help you out.  You need a feed store, they normally sell, chicken feed, hay, dog food, rabbit food, grain, ect...  What state do you live in anyway.

Sorry I sounded so blunt.  I really am not mean.  But, all the questions you could ever ever want to know.  Such as your question about the lights.  They can all be answered in the search area of this forum.  It is like a "How to" of gamebird knowledge. 

Good Luck
Teresa

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »

Should the feed  for pheasant chick be pelleted or finer,like the handfeeding formula?              I'm going to look around the store to see what i can find, what should i look out for in terms of how much protein, etc..

thanks!!

:eek:

28% protein........Gamebird  or Turkey starter in the form of a crumble (almost looks like "Grape Nuts" breakfast cereal).  I'd have no idea what a "handfeeding formula" is.

I think i saw a pet store that on the sign:poultry feed, horse feed.  Their is an area nearby to me that has a horse ranch, their are a lot of stores their that sells horse feeds, maybe this is it?

:cry:    Now your starting to get on the right track!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:51:31 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »

several bunches of:  :laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

hehehe..."Gamebird Starter" "Turkey Sarter"  "28%+ Protein" :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »

hi,

thanks for all your help, i appreciate it, i'm going to get the feed on Sat, i have to go back on their website to see how i get their!   Just one quickie:  I should check the date on the feed, right?

You sure do!! 

It is generic feed if the date is printed with black ink. If it is black ink, it may have been made in Novaskovia and may cause your birds to grow too fast, causing them to burst like a balloon without warning. And you don't want that!

If it is red ink, then things could get ugly.

Only reddish yellow ink is the good stuff, almost all red with just a touch of yellow, maybe green too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:12:39 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »

hi,
i have never been to a feed store, so went i enter the store do i ask the person for the feed or do just get it yourself?

thanks!

Your joking right??? You can't be serious........... How old are you?

Do you have ADD or are you on some kind of mind altering drugs?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is stupid.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 02:03:14 PM »

How about common sense.  I see in your previous posts that you have raised Chukar, Dove, you have a pair of Pheasant, you have button quail, Courtnix Quail and now are in the middle of incubating more pheasant. 

I also read that you are a teenager, live in the suburbs, have raised chickens that turned out to be roosters, so you had to get rid of them. 

I think what we are trying to say is.  If you raised those birds in the past, have fed them, they are all doing okay.  Then you should be able to figure out how to walk into a store and ask about gamebird feed. 

In several of your posts, you give advise.  That advise was asked by you in previous posts.  You have been told to research the "search" button.  There is so much info there to be learned. 

But some of the questions you ask are just plain silly.

Do you understand now?

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »

hi,
i have never been to a feed store, so went i enter the store do i ask the person for the feed or do just get it yourself?

thanks!

Feed stores are great!   You'll want to spend hours there, the aroma is soothing to the senses, kinda puts ya in a trance.

Just strut right in there like you own the place, go up and lean on the counter and say, "hey man, I need me some of that 28-30% protein gamebird feed in a crumble that you cats got, put it in a 55 pound bag will ya? If you don't have any gamebird feed, then I'll take some Turkey starter of the same specifications I mentioned before!"    Then after you pay them for it, say, "Thanks Dude!"   You might be able to talk them down in price too, sometimes they'll come down 2 or 3 cents, a nickel if you're lucky, especially if you're wearing a John Deere hat.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »