Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:00:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Pictures of breeder pens?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pictures of breeder pens?  (Read 20042 times)
ncffp163
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »

Hi ya'll

Can anyone post or send pictures of their breeder pens. I'm getting ready to build some and need ideas. I like the 3 pen battery, but I can't get close-up pictures of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
La.bowhunter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:16:44 PM »

can't help with pics , but heres a little info that may do ya some good.

i'll be building some like these, just not sure about the metal. i'll either divide with wire covered with a piece of aluminum coil stock ( i do vinyl siding) punched and wire wrap tied. or i may just get a small roll of flashing stock to make dividers.

anyway, check this link, picture to the left of the pens i assume you want. now in the middle row you'll see cage parts and wire listed.  they basiclly tell you how the cage is build. 20" D cage 8" H in the back, 10" in the front, 4"left to bend for the egg tray.

you can attach the from the inside useing anything from plumbers strap or a gang nail (available at H.D. or lowes in hurricane tie section) cut in half. add a few screws

http://poultrystuff.com/catalog/cat5p8.doc
ncffp163
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:07:20 AM »

Can hardware cloth or welded wire mesh be bent using an aluminum siding brake or do you have use a sheet metal brake? How does everyone else bend the wire mesh to make cages? Thanks ya'll.

Eric
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:30:36 AM »

yes you can bend it with the siding brake. In fact I wish I had one.

mike
La.bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:11:49 PM »

i install vinyl siding and use my brake all the time.  since it is a heavy wire, the brake will have to be secure or you'll just lift the front rather than bending.

siding company's also sell 2 types of hand brakes/benders. 1 is very heavy duty and will bend it as well. stay clear of the aluminum one with the changeable jaws, its not heavy duty enough to use. for small jobs its not to bad to use, just have to bend it a little at a time.

10' brake = $900. - $1200

6" hand bender $45 -$60

i think the wide jawed vise grip pliers would work as well
ncffp163
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

Home Depot rents the siding brakes for about 40-50.00 a day
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:27:50 AM »

I've built my stack cages out of welded wire and just bent them by hand over my table saw edge.  I used 24" wire and make two pens 12" by 24".  I have them stacked 6 high in my garage and keep 4 hens with one cock.  I also bent a tray above the egg tray and use 2" ABS pipe for a feeder.  Keeps everything outside the pen and is cheap to make.  I'll see if I can get some pictures posted this week.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:36:58 AM »

Forgot I had this already
ncffp163
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 10:46:16 PM »

Thanks a bunch, Ya'll
JohnInDixon
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »

I've built my stack cages out of welded wire and just bent them by hand over my table saw edge.  I used 24" wire and make two pens 12" by 24".  I have them stacked 6 high in my garage and keep 4 hens with one cock.  I also bent a tray above the egg tray and use 2" ABS pipe for a feeder.  Keeps everything outside the pen and is cheap to make.  I'll see if I can get some pictures posted this week.
What are you using for dropping trays? Cookie sheets? or homemade stuff?
John
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 07:14:56 PM »

I made the trays from the bathroom wall board, 1/8" stuff, runs about $13 a sheet.  One sheet makes 8 of them.  They are edged with the plastic edging they sell for that stuff, stuck on with caulking.  If I remember, the total was about $30 for all the trays.  I've been using these for 8 months now and they are holding up better than I expected.  I thought about the fiberglass composite board they sell for $35 a sheet, but the cheap stuff hasn't given up the ghost yet.  Doing it this way, they cost about $4 per pen and you can decide what size you want.  I didn't find anything pre-made that could be adapted for anything close to that cost.  I sprinkle a little cedar shavings to catch the droppings and make clean-up easier.  Also helps with the smell.  I clean them about every 5 days or so.  I have pushed it to 7 or 8 on occasion, but by then, they are smelling pretty good.  I have extended them by sprinkling a little lime over them at about 4 or 5 days and they will go longer if needed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:18:19 PM by gsc » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 02:46:16 PM »

What are you using for dropping trays? Cookie sheets? or homemade stuff?
John
[/quote]

LOL!  That's another good one John!  Remind me not to eat any cookies from your place. Are those "no-bake" chocolate chip?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »

When I was a kid, my mom used to make what she called "chocolate drop" cookies.  Maybe we don't want to go there? :laugh:
JohnInDixon
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 04:04:34 PM »

LOL!  That's another good one John!  Remind me not to eat any cookies from your place. Are those "no-bake" chocolate chip?
Thanks - I think.  Heaven knows what I can "cook up" if I tried to be funny.  I could be the Last Comic eating!

John
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:44:56 PM by JohnInDixon » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

Thanks - I think.  Heaven knows what I can "cook up" if I tried to be funny.  I could be the Last Comic eating!

John

It must come "natural" for you is all I can figure or it's just my own twisted mind seeing the humor in it?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »