Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Show your set ups
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show your set ups  (Read 12808 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »

More food plots

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

6 week old pup on point last year, which is my own breed known as West Virginia Shorthair Pointer.

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »

.......and a year later with a GSP AKA Rescue.

Nothing fancy, but it works for me!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »

nice pens and dogs
Foz
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »

Nice flights Steve.  Definitely takes those BIG pens to handle pheasant doesn't it.

With my current setup, I cycle smaller batches in and out all season versus one hatch so get double and triple duty on my pens.  Let's me handle a higher volume of birds with less cage expense.  However, I'm to the point of having to build another flight to handle more flight conditioned quail.  It's in the plans for this coming spring/summer.  Currently, I can handle about 4,000 flight quail in a year.

Foz.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »

Thanks John!

I am really thrilled the way my breed has turned out. When I started in 2001 I was giving away the dogs. The dogs are in Ohio,WV, PA, and VA. This is the first year I have charged for the pups and they still go like hot cakes.

I would place an ad for reservations on pups and have standby's. I have never gotten stuck with any pups. I have a buddy of mine who owns a shooting preserve in Ohio that has three of my dogs working as guide dogs. He said to me that my dogs out perform his $1000.00 GSP.

I have to dig up some pictures of the pups and post them in the dog section.

Foz,

Thanks for the complements! My flight pen is 55x100 and now I am thinking about doing another one that will be 85x150.

I keep around 300 hens and 60-65 cocks as my breeders, and then thin out the cock birds from there. I averaged last year over 15,000 eggs.

My I.H.O.P (Incubation House Of Pheasants) consists of 2 GQF Sportsman’s and on old Cedar cabinet Humidaire as my hatcher. I use 2- 5-foot swimming pools with fencing around and a box brooder for the newly hatched chicks. They stay in there for the first week under severe conditions.

The second week they all get transferred to the barn brooder where I have 6 heat lamps.

The only complaint that I have about my birds, they fly to far. My birds on an average, when flushed, will travel better then 500 yards. So when these people come and buy birds and release to hunt, on their own property, notice I said hunt, when they miss them they see $$$$$ (ca-ching, ca-ching, ca-ching!) going by the way of the missed bird. I tell them to look at it this way, any missed birds that you have purchased and don’t recover is a gift to wildlife.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »

Beautiful shorthairs steve. If I ever decide to get another breed than my labs, then the shorthairs are what would be my next choice. They are truely a work of art to hunt behind.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Foz
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 10:31:05 PM »

Steve,
Out of any complaint I might get, that is the one I like getting the most, and I'm sure you do too. 

Second to that one is when they come back for more and say they lost one or two trying to get them out of the crate with a big smile on their face.

Definitely lets me know I'm doing things right in my breeding program.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 03:31:23 AM »

Beautiful shorthairs steve. If I ever decide to get another breed than my labs, then the shorthairs are what would be my next choice. They are truely a work of art to hunt behind.

magnumhntr,

The shorter dog is the GSP the taller one is a West Virginia Shorthair Pointer.

Posted by: Foz

Steve,
Out of any complaint I might get, that is the one I like getting the most, and I'm sure you do too. 

Second to that one is when they come back for more and say they lost one or two trying to get them out of the crate with a big smile on their face.

Foz,

All my birds are banded by color code and #'s. This way I know how old they are, where they are released, and who I sold to. I have had birds come back to the pen that were released up to a mile and half within a week’s time. I just wish I could get the birds to be like Homing Pigeons. To get a resale on returned birds this way would be ideal.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »