Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Food Plots
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Food Plots  (Read 3559 times)
Buckbriar
« on: January 30, 2005, 06:41:52 PM »

I successfully raised about 150 quail last summer/fall and turned out about 50 on a couple of occasions to hunt them (quail released same day as the hunt).  The dog did his job but we only killed a few.  The rest were scattered into the thick hollows around my pastures.  For a while the released birds would come to my barn to get fed on a daily basis and hung around there a lot.  My question - if I plant several half acre food plots this spring and release birds in them for fall hunting, will the birds start using the plots?  My plan is to release them the day I hunt them and hope the survivors (which will be about all of them) will return to the food plot after being flushed by the hunting.  Thanks alot, Steve
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 01:13:34 PM »

You would have a very good chance of that happening. There are some things you could do to ensure a better return on those birds also. Try browsing this link and checking out some of their procucts.

http://www.qualitywildlife.com/

Food plots that also provide cover would be ideal. Dwarf sorghum, soy beans, millet, etc... An electronic recall device would keep the birds around, and a covey base camp would help ensure more of them survived. 8)

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
squirrelhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »

That would be fun to have such a controlled yet wild quail population.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »

we let some go last year about 75, they came back everynight until late summer then were gone. We have several food plots for deer and have some man made hide places with blowdowns etc. we were shooting skeet last weekend and low and behold the little buggers flew out from the patches of thick cover. We know they are ours because we band the legs.
and there were more than we let go so they have joined with the wild quail
Now I want a dog.

Lori  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »