Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  hole in egg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hole in egg  (Read 5110 times)
sparky

Personal Text

« on: June 08, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

hi ya there i have some Chinese quail eggs in my incubator and they are ready to hatch Ive had some babies and one of the eggs has a hole in it and you can hear a chick in it but its been like it for two days now what can i do or is there anything i can do to help it
Thank you for your time and help
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

It hatches or it doesn't.

Leave it be.
sparky

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »

ok i will leave it do whatever is ment to do
Thank you
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »

What kind of incubator, are the eggs in the turner or have they been taken out. Is it time for them to hatch?  More information needed.  ty2 Jim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:49:47 PM by jimmurray3 » Logged
sparky

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »

hi ya there the eggs are ready to hatch Ive had a couple and this one just put a hole in its shell, its managed to get out a bit over nite but it still has half of shell on its back now, they are in a ecostat incubator.
this is the second lot i have put in now and very poor hatch rate i don't know what I'm doing wrong but i have been getting the eggs from ebay so i don't know if its because of the posting
Any help would be great
 ty2
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »

going with the little info you have provided it sound like too low humidity. shell sticking to back of chick sounds dry.
Low humidity will dry the eggs out before they hatch making it hard for the chick to rotate around to pip the shell.
You need a thermometer and humidity meter for the incubator.
Many ebay eggs won't hatch with great percentages. If you buy from ebay read all the feedbacks.
I've had supposed Georgia giants from one seller that were the smallest bw's I've ever hatched and only a 15% hatch rate from them with many broken ones on delivery. I've also had a coturnix one with zero broken eggs and an 85% hatch rate.
priority mail or UPS are the only ways to go if you use ebay. if the seller doesn't ship that way don't buy, it will take too long in post. Foam shippers are the best!
If you buy from one of the guys here you won't be disappointed.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
sparky

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

ty2 thats a great help, what should the humidity be in the incubator? and should i have water in there all the time or just as they are pippin I've been told a few things by people so i thought i better find out on here as you all are great to me with all the help.
i have got a new incubator now it's a Banbury Cross  Automatic Incubator and i got a thermometer and  hygrometer
I'm going start again and with all the info from you great people i hope to get some babies
 ty2 very much for your help
chukarboy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »

I believe in helping a chick hatch when the circumstances are right. When the chick has externally pipped with no progress after 40 hours or so and you can hear him in their he might be in trouble. People will say let nature take its course, the chick might be to weak or have some genetic reason why its not able to hatch successfully. Well, its not natural by any means, we are incubating eggs in the most unnatural way possible (unless contact incubation is being used). In my opinion, helping is better then the alternative, which is a dead chick. I have two quail now that are as healthy as ever that would of died if I hadn't helped. I also have several pheasants that are my pride and joy that would of died. Please click on the link listed below and it will give you step by step way to help a chick hatch and when to help. Its also a good way to get clues to determine what needs to be adjusted for you your next hatch.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4747068_help-chickens-egg-hatch.html
sparky

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Hi ya thats great help to thank you very much, my chick died this morning but i will know now if it happens again
Thanks again
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

Thanks you helped me out to b/c I had the same problem last time I hatched some.
bobhunter

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »

I approach it pretty much like Reeves says, as I find it rare that a chick survives and remains strong if it cannot get out of the shell on its own. Hard to resist not giving some assistance, though... It could very well be as Mobe says (too high on the humidity) or even disease, genetic, or some other problem -- not always easy to pin the cause down. 
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »

I helped two of my turkeys out and the one had to be killed that day and the other became spraddle legged when it was about 3 weeks old and I had to kill it.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »

Read the sticky topics....lots of info in them !
sparky

Personal Text

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

Great help
 ty2 very much
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »