Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Your preference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your preference  (Read 3284 times)
Byrd

« on: December 13, 2007, 05:21:47 PM »

I have not written a post before, but have read for many months.  Have decided to raise Coturnix first. I have raised many a chicken in my day. But am looking for more of a hobby.(I am retired)  This will be for family use only. Now for my question? What  is your opinion on the different birds flavor, taste? Or do they pretty much taste all the same  Thanks for the read I love every post

The road is rocky, but wont be rocky long
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:11:10 PM »

To me, there is a distinct taste/scent in the Coturnix that im not fond of.

I prefer bobwhites, valley, mnt. quails. These all taste great.

If for eggs, then you may want to go with the Coturnix as they mature faster(8wks) and are prolific layers.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:13:30 PM by aKirA » Logged
Byrd

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:16:57 AM »

I have read that Coturnix mature earlier. That is why I thought about trying these first. But I will try the others. This is a great place for info. I have learned so much,just reading the threads.

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »

You can always try the Coturnix also. :wink:
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »

My preference is Bobwhites, and then Ringneck Pheasants, I have only had Coturnix that were given to me dressed, not sure how long they set out before freezing.  The Bobs have very good flavor but can dry out in cooking if you arnt careful. I used to think they were too small but now that I control meat portions they are a very good size.  I think this year I will halve my pheasants to get a better meal portion and pack a couple two to a bag for when company is here. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:11 PM »

we raise bobs, tennessee,mexican and several types of coturnix. tuxedos,texas a&m , and pharoh. coturnix mature at 6 weeks of age and start laying eggs at 6 weeks.they are a good meat and egg bird. not much taste difference. we sell alot of coturnix for meat and my wife sells pickled eggs also.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »

the only problem with ringnecks is they take AWHOLE lot more room compared to quail (pheasants take 25sq.ft. while quail about 3-6sq.ft), so I would also go with BW, well good luck with whatever you chose!
Byrd

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »

Thanks for the info.   We have a few months to decide which bird to start with.  I will just sit back and watch it snow somemore.  Supposed to get 3 to 5 inches  today and  sunday  PUT ON SOMEMORE COFFEE s020

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »