Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  How do you increase or decrease humidity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you increase or decrease humidity?  (Read 2844 times)
Man Cave

« on: March 09, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

I have a forced air Little giant incubator with egg turner and it is running 99.5 -100 temp and 65% Humidity. I have 1 vent cap off and suggested by Little Giant. I only open every 3rd day to fill the built in water trays. How do i increase the humidity on the 3 day before hatching rule takes place. I will do this when i remove the egg turner.

Thanks, Tommy  c110 c29
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »

How do i increase the humidity on the 3 day before hatching rule takes place.

Increase water surface area.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »

If I remember correctly, you should have more than one water reservior.  Using only one during incubation, then filling the other one in order to raise the humidity for hatching. If that's not enough, then some have added sponges to increase the water surface, as Reeves mentioned, in order to increase humidity.  As you may already know, water surface is what changes humidity levels, not the depth/amount of water.   If you are already filling all of the reserviors, you may be letting in too much fresh air?  I used to add a couple of those little "Dixie" paper bathroom cups when hatching in the styrofoam incubators. Sponges can be a pain, especially when they start to hatch and are running all over the place.   A cabinet incubator makes life much, much easier.

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:41:40 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »

Keep in mind a sponge is a one time use item. They quickly build up bacteria and hold onto it even if washed.
Man Cave

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the info. I currently have all the trays filled and my humidity is running at 65%. When i get to the last 3 days I will make some small shallow pans and fill them with water. They  can sit next to the existing built in trays. I will place them under the wire.  I will probably make them out of Aluminum foil.  Does this sound reasonable?c29
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »

That will work.  

Be sure that whatever you're using to measure humidity levels is accurate.  I always use more than one device, especially when using electronic hygrometers.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:38:30 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Flying Bob

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »

Sounds like you have a plan, but I have also sprayed eggs on the last day or so with a well cleaned out spray bottle of water that has been warmed to 100 degrees.... That'll get that humidity up there....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »