Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Pheasant release in Texas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant release in Texas  (Read 74033 times)
kolby

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »

Hi Skipper,

I do have interest in introduction of gamebirds.  I have released them many times and the best time is taking adult bobwhite release as many as you can perhaps even from
different strains,1 month before they lay eggs.  Before males start pecking and fightin
g. They will pair off and nest these chicks will survive best. I don,t have nearley the co
ver you do and it worked. Same with pheasant though quail seem better at nesting and coveys are great
Springerman

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to TQP but have been raising pheasants and releasing them for a few years and have been asking myself alot of the questions I've read here. I have a question.
 Is there anyway I can better the quality of the birds I release through selective breeding?

Like bring in wild roosters or holding my breeder hens till they die of old age and adding only the wildest of hen offspring to the breeder flock?

The problem we have here is the hens don't make it through the nesting season, they will sit but are very week by the time chicks hatch and some even die prior. We have a small wild population coming but I see or hear of very few hens with clutches even though we get good survival through winter. We use a Manchurian x. they survive the winter best out here.
Any ideas?

SM

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »

The problem we have here is the hens don't make it through the nesting season,

Where is "here"?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Springerman

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »

Central Alberta along the Battle River.
 At one time there was a huge wild pheasant population.
  I have 640Acres all in a CRP type mix Tall Wheat grass/Clover/Alphapha with scrub willows.  This year we left the head lands standing.Next year I'll do some discing and leave 1/2 of it in a block.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »

Springerman

I've sent a PM to a fellow that lives down your way , to get in touch with you.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »

That's good.  Someone with local experience is worth a dozen of us "ferriners".

It sounds to me like you need enhanced nesting habitat.  In addition to shelter belts, and tall native bunch grasses, you may need to provide tall sorghum, so the hens will have food available, if the insect hatches are late.  I believe I would find a way to supplement their food supply, with grains, and a calcium source. 

Do you have fairly large populations of Sharptail Grouse, Prairie Chickens, or Ptarmigan, competing for food or nesting areas?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Springerman

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »

Just a few Sharptail, and a healthy population of Huns. 5-10pair/sq mile.
Springerman

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 01:13:59 AM »

Thanks Reeves,

I have a old pheasant biologist coming to hunt here on the weekend he should help too.
 Bigger block of grass should help.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »