Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Peepers and pipping.......?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peepers and pipping.......?  (Read 4211 times)
greyghost
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »

A local Pheasant farm throws away all eggs found on the ground. All the birds are wearing peepers. My question is is there any reason these eggs may NOT be fertile?
I'd like to take them off his hands for free or damn cheap. Thanks, Dave.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »

My question is is there any reason these eggs may NOT be fertile? 
I'd like to take them off his hands for free or damn cheap. Thanks, Dave.

1. No, but Yes

2. Do it, it will be educational.

3. Everyone appreciates a good hand.

They are just as likely to be fertile.  They are more likely to be a little old and have gotten invaded by bacteria.  I don't even keep such eggs for omelets, except when I know there was not an egg on that spot a few hours beforehand.  Your education may include exploding eggs.  If you spend time around the place, help out a little, and he won't mind.  Keep them covered with a damp paper towel.  Candle them often starting at day 6-7 remove cracked/molded eggs carefully and immediately.  You'll soon see why he doesn't use them (too time consuming, and you don't want a rotten egg explosion in the middle of 1000, or 10,000 eggs).

This may be worth your time, if you are careful.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
greyghost
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »

WGB,  The omelet idea was still in my mind when I asked the question. Exploding eggs; not my idea of a good time, this is why I asked. Thanks. I have not gotten the candling thing even started yet.  I will read up on it here, as I am sure it has been gone over a gazillion  times.
 " Everyone  appreciates a good hand." I have yet to figure out how to Insert quote as I am new, but what do you mean by this?
 Also, Damp paper towel? s144
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:05:48 AM »

Well, in someplaces, well never mind.  I mean like a farm "hand", worker, helpful.  If you're around the place, anyway, pitch in.

A "fair hand" asks if he can help.  A good hand sees a section of fence down, and staples it up, without asking.  Avoid tresspassing, and don't walk into pens uninvited, you might track something in with you.  Don't stand and watch him unload bags of feed, grab one and get to work.

Damp paper towel will contain exploding egg, and assist in clean up.  If there are eggs, you're sure haven't been in the sun all day, they should be safe.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
greyghost
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

Gotcha! Thaks again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »