Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Releasing Bobwhite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Releasing Bobwhite  (Read 6966 times)
buffett-phan

« on: March 13, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »

I wasn't sure where to post this question so...

Is there a certain time of year to release bw's?  I haven't found any info stating anything other than it being 60 degrees at night. 

I have 22 eggs due to hatch Easter  a30 weekend.   I figured by the time they are 6 weeks old (early May) it will be warm enough for them to be released.   I don't want to release them at a bad time.

Any suggestions...
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »

6 weeks is a good age to release
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »

We don't know where you're located, but here in Southern Ohio, I've released in May many times.  I wait until the tree canopy is full and undergrowth has it's leaves for avain predator protection and some shelter.  60 degrees at night for 6 week olds doesn't mean anything, they'll be fine as far as the temp goes.........unless it gets below freezing where you're at....and even then at that age they should be ok. Be sure to wean them off of any heat and expose them to the outside temps, especially at night. Be sure that they have been sprayed with water several times over a period of days.....start both around a week prior to release. I spray my BW's with a spray bottle when they are brooding many times from about 3 weeks on.

Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
buffett-phan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »

Thanks for the info!

I live in eastern NC so it sounds like they should be fine if I release them in May. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »