Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Leg Bands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leg Bands  (Read 15593 times)
Equismith

« on: January 01, 2008, 06:45:56 AM »

I live in NC. When training in the off-season, NC has these guidelines;

When training dogs during the closed season, hunters may use
domestically raised waterfowl or game birds provided that they
use shot shells with shot of number 4 size or smaller and the
shot is nontoxic when training with waterfowl. All birds must be
banded on one leg with the propagator’s license number.

Can you guy give any advice on which kind? Where to buy? How to get a propagator’s license number (unless for some reason they mean your hunting license number)? Anything else I might have forgotten?

These will be for BobWhites.

My next step is to write the NCWRC for their input, since they're the ones I have to please.

Thanks all.

Happy New Year! I brought it in the way I normally do....asleep. s020

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »

Try this link.
   http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/pg4a7prop_regs.pdf

They can probably direct you to a provider of bands, or at least other licensees who can help.

They won't be cheap, but aluminum or brass should be reusable.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Equismith

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »

Thanks for the link. Looks like NC wants you to have a license just to possess them as well, never mind releasing them.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »

Looks like NC wants you to have a license just to possess them as well, never mind releasing them.

I think that's the case with most states.

Missouri won't really allow release at all, as far as I can determine.  There is a circuitous way, by using birds for dog training, and not being successful at recalling them.  Another alternative is a shooting preserve license, but that requires a minimum of 160 acres.  The problem seems to be that the state tried to stock Quail, and failed.  They certainly wouldn't want mere peasant citizens showing them up!  You see this a lot with most governments.  One of the main reasons for massive gun control.  They need crime to help justify their existence.

Equismith

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »

Looking at the reg link above, they won't allow feeders within 100 yards of the recall box and the box must be 100 yards from bordering property lines in all directions. And a separate license for each box. s85

Equismith

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »

Try this link.
   http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/pg4a7prop_regs.pdf

They can probably direct you to a provider of bands, or at least other licensees who can help.

They won't be cheap, but aluminum or brass should be reusable.

I called the NCWRC. I got an office type who, when asked a question, would put her hand over the phone, ask someone else in the office, and then reply to me. Not very encouraging. I did send off the application though. $5 for each year with permits issued for the recall pens.

We'll see what happens...

If I do this, I want to do it correctly and legally. My chief would frown on me breaking the law... :police:

s176

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »

If I do this, I want to do it correctly and legally. My chief would frown on me breaking the law... :police:
 s176

That old gate swings both ways.  Sometimes you get a little professional preference, sometimes you get "You, of all people should have known better".  Obviously, if you've contacted them, and bought permits, made an honest effort to do everything right, you're pretty safe, even if they sold you the wrong one, or should have required another. 

Get to know your local wildlife officer.  In most cases, his perspective is the most important.  Most of these officers are more concerned with right and wrong, poachers, and tresspassers, than technicalities like having a feeder 20 feet too close the the call back box.  That part of their regulations makes it sound like you can't have the common "Johnny house" with the feed and water inside.

You might want to get a map of your property, make copies, and mark possible locations for everything on them.  When you're satisfied, show it to your wildlife officer.

Equismith

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »

You might want to get a map of your property, make copies, and mark possible locations for everything on them.  When you're satisfied, show it to your wildlife officer.

Two copies were required when the permit/license application was mailed to them. I went ahead and applied for the recall box even though I don't have one yet. That way if I want, I can put it out on the 21 acres I have access to.

skipper3905

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »

Is there a problem with quail getting hung up in weeds if they have leg bands?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »

Is there a problem with quail getting hung up in weeds if they have leg bands?

I don't see that happening.

I've had a problem with those plastic spiral type getting too tight and cutting off circulation on the birds leg. Most generally they are no problem, but I had a batch of blue bands that seemed to get too tight. I'm not sure as to whether it was the blue bands or simply that particular batch of birds?  The bands looked the same as any other.   ???   Anyway, keep an eye out for any problems after banding.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »