Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  dead bw quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dead bw quail  (Read 4502 times)
birdinwithblue
« on: August 22, 2004, 10:34:36 AM »

i went out this morning to look at them and there was a dead one . i looked over and it had something hanging out of it's rear . it looked like a worm of some kind but it was about as big as a pencil or bigger . i've never seen this before . i put antibiotics in the water but not sure if that is going to do it if it is worms has anyone seen any thing like this .
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 12:17:59 AM »

Sorry...no help from me, but let us know if you figure anything out.

Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »

Is it an adult female?  "Blow out" is the first thing that comes to my mind if so.  Other than that, I would have to have an up close and personal look...sounds too big to be any of the internal parasites I'm aware of.

David
birdinwithblue
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:55:59 PM »

it was a hen . what is blow out, it kind of looked like a gut
muttsburg
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:24:05 PM »

My understanding of Blowout is that it's like a Prolapsed Uterus. We had this with a chicken a few yrs back. The ole factory just turns it's self inside out and cuts off the blood supply to the organ and they die. Vet said being egg bound or overly large egg delivery can tear it loose.

Mammals do it quite often during or after birth of overly large offspring. Some just have a more fragile system.

Hope this helps.
birdinwithblue
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 06:23:13 AM »

thay are'nt but 12 weeks old . but that dose'nt meen that is'nt it . this is my first year raising them like this i've had 10 -15 birds at a time now i have about 600 birds . i have heard of people loosing alot of bird at once and scared me a little . the rest of them are looking ok . thanks for your help and if nothing else you all eased my mind LOL .
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:26:12 PM »

Muttsburg explained it well.  Sorry for the confusion, I should have done a better job and offered a better explanation. 12 weeks sounds a little young for that to have happened since it is related to egg laying and I haven't had one that young begin laying. The good thing is that it appears to be an isolated incident.

David
muttsburg
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 11:59:54 PM »

stewaw

I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it, been quite a while since I've seen it.

It's just a matter of team work :wink:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »