Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:49:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  How many birds can fit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many birds can fit  (Read 9072 times)
Lancef011

Personal Text

« on: August 30, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »

I have a 5x4 dog house style cage that stands 4 feet tall and has a little area outside that is caged in how many birds could i put in this cage. Birds are going to be pheasents
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:03:15 AM »

Zero.

Too small for any Pheasant species.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:48 AM »

WAY TO SMALL.  I know a man outside of Nashville here in Tn who puts his golden pairs in pens 4' by 6' and only 5' high.  It is sad to watch his birds.  You can see how unhappy and unsettled they are.  If you wanted to keep some quail you could use it for that, but forget  using it for pheasants unless you want to torture them.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:05:19 AM »

i agd2 way to small
larold83

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

i am working on building ringneck pen and quail pen back to back connected that is the ringneck pen i want to build 12x20 and the quail one i want to build is like 12x8 i only want to raise small quanities of birds i am getting qquail eggs for free when they start laying from my buddy as long as i buy th incubater how big of a brudder pen do i need i was thinking the size of a pallet 3x4 with 2 foot side will this be big enough and can you mix the quail and ringnecks in the same pen or not thanks
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »

can you mix the quail and ringnecks in the same pen

Nope.

The 12' x 20' pen you mention is only big enough for one pair/
trio of Pheasant (240 sq. ft.)
TENNESSERED

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »

Hey Larold83,
   Do not mix bobwhites with ringnecks. They are both aggressive species and can and will kill each other.  The same goes for Valley's and Gambels they to can become aggressive.  I have had no problem having Japanese quail running around my pheasant grow out pens.  The ringnecks and others seem to completely ignore them.  In my the pea fowl pen I keep my trio of pea fowl I also have 2 pairs of bobwhites and several adult male pheasants ( goldens & Japanese greens).  They have all gotten along for over two years.  But the pen is pretty large and tall.  It is about 500 s.f. and 14' tall so the birds have lots of room and different levels to be on they get along fine.  I tried to introduce an extra ringneck male to the flock recently and one of the bobwhite hens nearly killed the ringneck in just a few minutes even though he was many times her size.  So you have to be carefull about mixing birds. As far as you pen size 12 X20 I know Reeves sad only one pair, but If you do your pens right you can get by with less space especially for ornamentals.  My pheasant house contains 6 pens which are about 100 s.f a piece and my birds are healthy and happy.  They reproduce well and get along together.  Ring necks should have more s.f. than say goldens, but I do have a ringneck rooster and 2 hens in one of the pens and they are doing great.  My pens are diffeent than Reeves (at least from what I have seen in his picts)  And I do not have grass in my pens.  I have my pens are built on a chirt mound and each pen has a layer of small pea gravel on it.  Also my pens are completly covered with metal so that they stay dry at all times.  Every couple of months I go in with a bow rake and turn the gravel over so the birds always have a clean surface to live on.  If you are going to try to keep grass than you will have to have a very large pen.  If you wanted to something simular you could make two pens from what your 12 x 20 and be successfull.  You mentioned your brooder pen being the size of a pallet.  If you are only going to raise a small number like you mentioned, use cardboard boxes.  That way when they get soiled you can toss them and get new ones for free.  I keep quail and pheasant chicks in cardboard for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks then I move them to my brooder house which is in my Pea Cock house  it is 4 x 8 x 8' high.  I have a couple of hanging lights to finish brooding them out to 4 weeks of age.  I would't brood in a pen as you will get drafts which could kill your young chicks.

good luck
larold83

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »

i thaught ringnecks need like 20sqft of space well thats like 12x20/20=12 birds i'm only going to have one rooster the rest hens now when i raise chicks can i put them in with thw 12 birds till its release time in like october november or not.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:33:06 PM »

If you put in the young birds to grow out with the adults you will probably have a lot of problems.  It can be very hard to introduce new birds to established flocks.  Plus your pen is not big enough for that many.  Ringnecks usually need a little more room than ornamentals.  If you keep your pen as a 12 x 20 I would not put in more than 1 rooster and 4 or 5 hens at most. 
larold83

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »

well went back to the drawing board and took some of other peoples suggestion and came up with a pen size of 60x12 and 8x12 of it will be for quail so this should ge me alittle room to play with i price all the lumber out i'm using all 2x4 8's 12's and 16's and only around 150 bucks so dose any one know of were i can find affordable netting other than ebay
bucking-horse

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »

Go search for 3tproducts good prices great service.
                                                          Chris in southwest Ga.

chris williams
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »