Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Quail- backwards leg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail- backwards leg?  (Read 5130 times)
Nutmeg

Personal Text

« on: June 25, 2009, 12:18:26 PM »

I had about 25 quail hatch and 3 of them had backwards legs. 2 of them died but now i have one with a bad leg.
it looks like it was put on backwards, but Nutmeg (the quail) can hop around pretty well without using it and is starting to fly (he's about a month old). But one of the toes has black on it and it looks a bit like some of the poop got stuck to it except it wont come off and around the toenail its getting back.
is there anything i should do??
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »

No blood flow.

Leg rotting off.

Cull the bird. (pop it's head off)
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »

No blood flow.

Leg rotting off.

Cull the bird. (pop it's head off)
        I will second that
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

You let it go and it will die any way so I agree just kill the poor little guy. It's leg is literally rotting off and there is nothing you can really do. Like I have been told on here about a 1000 times, "only the strong will live."
nicodemusliam

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:31:35 AM »

I think this is a genetic problem because all the birds with this problem come from the same breeder and I have eggs from 3 different breeders but I thought id ask just to be sure there wasn't something I could do to prevent this. Glads for the post.

russ

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »

I have let them go for 5 wks. still ended up culling, some of them came out if it and some have not.Do it the favor and cull it.....just my experience,at 5 wks. you can get some bite size pieces...Russ
smallfarmTN.

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

I used to breed Peach faced Lovebirds. One of the things I put in the cage for then to make nests out of was short pieces of yarn. Once, when a clutch hatched, I didn't notice for a long time, that one of the chicks had somehow gotten a piece of yarn wrapped around it's leg and it tightened as the mother tried to remove it. Apparently, the more she pulled on it, the tighter it got.
When I opened the nest box for the first time, there it was. It's leg was completely black, shriveled, and dry. When I touched it, it fell off like a scab and showed no sign of infection.
Strangest thing I ever saw. It lived a normal life, learning to get by just fine hopping on one leg.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »