Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  How to break my dog of being gun shy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to break my dog of being gun shy  (Read 15693 times)
travis m harvey

« on: February 28, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »

I have a 2 year old female brittany. half the time i shoot over her she's fine, but the other half she's gun shy. I don't know if she'll grow out of it or what should i do?
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »

I broke a Lab. once, but it was only a pup and was G.S. all the time. Yours probably isn't G.S. or she would panic everytime you shot.
The way I did it with mine:
Buy a Cap Gun.
Plan on feeding once each day, after you have supper.
Put the food dish in the Bathroom, it's usually the smallest room in the house and the easiest to clean-up.
Get comfortable, as the dog starts to eat, fire the cap gun a few times, and then commend the dog, it will be stressed.
Let it calm down and start eating, fire the gun again.
Repeat this about 3-4 times a night, but always let the dog finish eating by itself.
It took me about 3 weeks, but then everytime the gun went off after that the dog associated it with a good experience.
I hunted that Lab. for over 11yrs. after that, she even sat in my truck while we were trap shooting without any fear.She turned out to be one of my better @#$*&^$, and I got her registered and delivered to me for free, cause the owner thought she was ruined!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »

I have a 2 year old female brittany. half the time i shoot over her she's fine, but the other half she's gun shy. I don't know if she'll grow out of it or what should i do?

travis,

What type of gun are you using, and are you consistant with the same gun? What type of clothing are you wearing?

If I go outside in blazed orange, either spring, summer, fall or winter, my dogs go ballistic, If I go outside with a shotgun they go ballistic. They go ballistic if I even knock any bells! They think it is time to hunt.

When I hunt my dogs they are accustomed to the sound of a 12 ga. and question the other shotgun sounds, but look to me if I had fired the round.

If I use a .22cal, 3006, 44mag or 45acp firearm or 45acp, 44mag or 22cal handgun for target shooting my dogs go ballistic and spook. It is the same way with fireworks, although the sound of 12/20/410 ga slugs doesn't seem to effect them.

Then again, I have a dog that will go into total hunt mode if I was to slap two pieces of wood together and say get the bunny or find the bird....in an excited voice.

Different reports from the guns will sometimes spook the dog until they get use to it.

Have the dog on a leash, in the sit position, and fire the round in question that spooks the dog. If the dog stays give him/her treats and heavily praise her/him.

If the dog spooks, tell the dog, where's the bird or Bunnie or what ever you are hunting for and praise the dog again and give him/her treats.

Move to another area, and repeat the same thing. If the dog keeps shying away, stop and resume the following day with the same training.

If you have a dog that is not gun shy, use that dog as a reference to the leashed dog. Shoot the gun, send out the unleashed dog have him run for a retrieve, and bring the leashed dog along to follow the lead dog. Keep in mind to praise the leased/gun shy dog at all times. Naturally praise the dog that is setting an example as well.

Do not, and I repeat, do not get yourself upset if the dog is still upset, from you either racking, another round in the gun, or if the dog shuns when you let a round off.

This will take time and patience, but it is something that the dog will over come. Get the dog use to you in the normal upland or water fowl hunting apparel every time you go out, either in a dog training sessions, or even in the field that you hunt for a walk.

Take along a whistle and set up your own whistle commands. Use your whistle blow that you feel comfortable with, and then call the dog back, or what ever command you wish to use.

I have found that the standard whistle commands being used, is quite confusing to a dog if you are afield and there are other people in the same field. so what ever floats your boat and works, go with that.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »

I broke a Lab. once, but it was only a pup and was G.S. all the time. Yours probably isn't G.S. or she would panic everytime you shot.
The way I did it with mine:
Buy a Cap Gun.
Plan on feeding once each day, after you have supper.
Put the food dish in the Bathroom, it's usually the smallest room in the house and the easiest to clean-up.
Get comfortable, as the dog starts to eat, fire the cap gun a few times, and then commend the dog, it will be stressed.
Let it calm down and start eating, fire the gun again.
Repeat this about 3-4 times a night, but always let the dog finish eating by itself.
It took me about 3 weeks, but then everytime the gun went off after that the dog associated it with a good experience.
I hunted that Lab. for over 11yrs. after that, she even sat in my truck while we were trap shooting without any fear.She turned out to be one of my better @$$$@es, and I got her registered and delivered to me for free, cause the owner thought she was ruined!

labmancan,

I would love to take a trip up to your pondee and a stop off at Reeves. It is a shame that this country of ours, U.S.A. has gotten to the point of ridiculous border searches and visa requirements(passports) that has also made the Canadian side do the same.
What's the best way to ship retired 190lbs?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

I like to say send yourself USPS, but most of the things I have bought off Ebay end up arriving here, looking like they were used as NFL training dummies. s53
From what I can see, it is a whole lot easier for you to come this way than for us to go south. Throw a dog in the truck, put on a shooting coat,put your shotgun under the seat and head N*W*.
Oh and bring me some BW eggs and some Hun eggs and some Tragopan and Jungle Fowl eggs and some.........

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »

I like to say send yourself USPS, but most of the things I have bought off Ebay end up arriving here, looking like they were used as NFL training dummies. s53
From what I can see, it is a whole lot easier for you to come this way than for us to go south. Throw a dog in the truck, put on a shooting coat,put your shotgun under the seat and head N*W*.
Oh and bring me some BW eggs and some Hun eggs and some Tragopan and Jungle Fowl eggs and some.........

.....And where am I suppose to pick these up from?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »

You just look in the Gazette, then as you head across the U.S. you pick them up for me, then when you hit Montana turn north, your only 5-6 hours from the border to my place.
Let me know when your coming I'll get the smoker fired up. I want to make sure I have room in my incubators also, shoot I may have to go out and buy a couple more, maybe you should only bring me a couple hundred of each ok. I do have quite a large deck I can house them under, it's about 700sq.', heck I can get about a thousand birds under there, bring all you can. :grin:

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

You just look in the Gazette, then as you head across the U.S. you pick them up for me, then when you hit Montana turn north, your only 5-6 hours from the border to my place.
Let me know when your coming I'll get the smoker fired up. I want to make sure I have room in my incubators also, shoot I may have to go out and buy a couple more, maybe you should only bring me a couple hundred of each ok. I do have quite a large deck I can house them under, it's about 700sq.', heck I can get about a thousand birds under there, bring all you can. :grin:

What about the border? I will be cariryng (2) Springfield 45 ACP concealed and a Wather PPk/S 380  with me under a WV CCW permit along with another B.U.G. What happens now at the border when I have all these birds for you along with my personal personal protection?

Are you setting me up for some bust?

Please Advice, this will be the first time leaving the U.S since being out of the arm forces.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »

You would have no problem with the birds, I can arrange a cross border import/export permit, that allows birds to be driven up here. You would however have a difficult time with the hardware, were it discovered. Besides I got enough for both of us. Last count was around 26 in total, most are even registered.
If you are really interested, we could discuss a fair exchange on your fuel, meals, etc. on your way up. I will help pay oneway only. 3600' house I know I have room for you.
Maybe you can look over some of my bird set-up and give me a little more info.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »

You would have no problem with the birds, I can arrange a cross border import/export permit, that allows birds to be driven up here. You would however have a difficult time with the hardware, were it discovered. Besides I got enough for both of us. Last count was around 26 in total, most are even registered.
If you are really interested, we could discuss a fair exchange on your fuel, meals, etc. on your way up. I will help pay oneway only. 3600' house I know I have room for you.
Maybe you can look over some of my bird set-up and give me a little more info.

What about relocation abilities? I am worth net US$$ 2.5 mil with an guarantee income of $48,000.00 per year, the rest of my life, plus...$$$

What can I get, property wise without any Canadian entrapment/encroachment as far as property rights, and oil/gas and mineral rights. What about my collection of firearms and hand guns?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »

You really need to drive up here and have a look around, the weather has been better than what you have. The firearms can be transfered and shipped after you pass a few tests. Then to be able to keep the hand guns you must join a registered gun club. You can pick up a nice little estate like mine for about 3/4 of a mill., of course now your buck is worth more so that won't be too bad. I am too close to Edmonton so prices here are inflated, further North or away from any of the major centers (Calgary,Red Deer,Lethbridge) prices are much more reasonable.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »

labmancan

I want to be located in an area that no one will come to investigate, no neighbors for at least 3 miles.

I am not into government infringement of peacefull people. I just want to be left alone.

Is there anyplace left for this isolation for which I seek?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Oh and by the way, My 2.5mil in US$ is worht less then the canadian $$. I would have to find out if my monthy payout woud either in in US$$ or Canadian$$ if I was to relocate.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

You would need to move either up by Reeves or into B.C.. The Govt. owns all mineral and oil rights in Canada,all you can own is the topsoil to about 12" deep. Then the phone companies and all the other utility outfits have access rights/easements.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »

You would need to move either up by Reeves or into B.C.. The Govt. owns all mineral and oil rights in Canada,all you can own is the topsoil to about 12" deep. Then the phone companies and all the other utility outfits have access rights/easements.

Okay, so what is to the west of you along the Alaskan Highway?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

That would be B.C., that's where I was born, i just came out here to build refineries. I will be going back someday. Although my next stop is looking like Kazinstan. They need some roads , well sites and refineries built. Plus you get to work with an armed gaurd, as long as they pay the big bucks, I will do it for a few years. 30 days in 30 out, they pay for everything, I can do 30 easy, just stay busy, might even get to hunt some native birds.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »