Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  BW hens dying?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW hens dying?  (Read 4233 times)
cgsmith
« on: September 20, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »

Hi all I had around 25 quail about half of them were male. the other
half female. here in the last two weeks I have had about a hen a week
dye for no obveous reason. They are around 24 weeks and have just
started laying eggs. I put sulmate in there water because I do have
problems with coccidia. nothing changed I put terramiacin in the water
and again no change, Could it be worms? If so why are only the hens
dying? Thanks Crystal
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »

Any symptoms prior to finding them dead?

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »

Yea did ya notice any symptoms?

maybe lack of calcium or egg breech?(I forget the scientific term :P)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:34:56 PM by aKirA » Logged
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »

Akira hit it on the head, they are egg binding due to the lack of calicum. Feed them a little oyster shell in with their feed for the first day or two, then offer it free choice after that. This is the only thing that would cause the hens only to die and also does not show any systoms other than you might see her laying down alot. Also if you have 12 females you only need 4 males. BBQ the others or turn them lose unless paired off in sperate cages otherwise your asking for problems.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:14:42 PM by WHITNEYPLU » Logged
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:32:34 PM »

Yea did ya notice any symptoms?

maybe lack of calcium or egg breech?(I forget the scientific term :P)

Yep, that was my exact thought.  Since it was only the hens.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
cgsmith
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:05:23 AM »

no symptoms.  I'm going to try the oyster shells. If nother one goes I;m going to send it to the state. I love my birds and hate to see them die off like they are.  Crystal
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:23:27 AM »

If nother one goes I;m going to send it to the state.

Good idea, as egg binding isn't caused by lack of calcium.
When a hen lacks enough calcium for egg laying, she "steals" it from her own body. In this case you will see thin egg shells, or no shells. In this case you really need to look at the feed you are using.

Many things can cause egg binding. The odd one I can understand, many, you have a problem. Again, look at your feed. Are they getting fresh clean water all day, every day ?

Call your Vet, ask why so many could be binding and what can you give to help prevent this.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 11:40:47 PM »

I dont agree with that. You start giving them oyster shell and bring up the calicum level and that will stop the binding. The soft shelled eggs they talk about has a bad tendency to get stuck and cause the hen to die. Also the lack of calicum does cause the hen to draw it from her body which can deplete the calicum levels in her own body causing her to die.

From the Merek Vetinary manual:

This is a common occurrence in captive hens, most notably in cockatiels, budgerigars, and lovebirds. Usually these birds are chronic egg layers, and calcium deficiency, general depletion of nutritional stores, and potential oviductal inertia may be causes. Supportive care (ie, rehydration, injectable calcium, warmth) before attempting extraction of the egg is critical. A single injection of a short-acting glucocorticoid (for potential renal and cloacal swelling as well as shock) and an antibiotic for potential sepsis may also be given, although glucocorticoids should be used carefully in birds. Oxytocin and the avian equivalent, arginine vasotocin, both cause uterine contractions and can help induce oviposition, as can the prostaglandins F2a and E2. If the egg is adherent to the uterine wall or unable to descend (often due to soft tissue swelling or collection of urates and stool), the administration of these drugs could theoretically lead to uterine rupture, but this has rarely been reported.
If the egg does not pass with medical management, inhalant anesthesia and manual extraction may be used. The decreased stress (due to decreased pain) and increased muscle relaxation warrant the slight anesthetic risk. The head should be held elevated to aid respiration. Barring adherence of the egg to the uterus, steady digital pressure applied between the end of the sternum and the egg will cause the slow descent of the egg. At this point, the uterus will often evert and reveal the white pinhole where the uterine opening is located. This opening will gradually dilate. Very seldom will any additional pressure or manipulation be required. After the egg is delivered, the uterus will normally involute. If any hemorrhage has occurred, antibiotics are indicated to prevent cloacal or uterine infection. Postoperatively, the hen will continue to be depressed, with labored breathing. By the next day, she will appear clinically normal. A second egg may be produced within the next 24 hr, so repeated palpation is indicated.
Egg binding may also be seen in larger psittacines, although excessive previous laying is not usually associated with the condition in these birds. Obesity, general nutritional inadequacy, behavioral, and husbandry conditions may be involved.

Cystic Ovarian Disease:
Birds with cystic ovarian disease often present with a history of previous egg production. Egg laying may not have occurred for several years. Owners may have noticed reproductive behavior until the recent onset of illness. Generally, these birds are depressed, inactive, and often dyspneic. Abdominal palpation often reveals distention with ascitic fluid.
The fluid from cystic ovarian disease is usually a transudate, although it should be examined for evidence of secondary infection or egg-yolk peritonitis. Careful aspiration of fluid from the ventral midline may relieve respiratory distress.
Radiographs, when the bird is stable, will often demonstrate hyperostosis of the femurs and other long bones. On the lateral view, the ventriculus will be displaced cranially, and a space-occupying mass will be noted in the renal and gonadal area. Ultrasonography can often detect cystic follicles, in additional to normal follicular development.
Treatment with leuprolide acetate (100-800 µg/kg, IM, every 30-45 days) will cause follicular atresia and a decrease in cystic ovarian size and activity. Surgery may not be needed if there is no concurrent infection or neoplasia.

Cloacal Prolapse:
This syndrome is extremely common in adult Umbrella and Moluccan cockatoos. The exact cause has not been proven, but the following characteristics have been associated with most cases: 1) hand-raised, 2) delayed weaning and/or continued begging for food, 3) close attachment to at least one person, 4) signs of either a child/parent or a mate/mate relationship with the owner, who may not be aware of these signs, and 5) a tendency to hold the stool in the vent for prolonged periods (eg, overnight), rather than defecating in the cage. Cockatoos that are independent of humans do not have this medical problem. Although the etiology is unknown, proposed causes include prolonged begging for food, causing straining and dilation of the vent; misplaced sexual attraction to a person, causing vent straining and movement; and retention of stool in the vent for prolonged periods, stretching and dilating the vent. The cause may be a combination of these factors.
If detected and treated early, surgery combined with behavioral modification can correct the problem and prevent secondary infections and other complications. Behavioral modification is often difficult for owners to accomplish because in many ways it involves breaking the close bond that they have with their bird. If the bird still perceives its owner as either a parent or mate, it will continue to strain and the problem will likely recur. Behaviors that should be avoided include stroking the bird, especially on the back (ie, petting); feeding the bird warm foods, or food by hand or mouth; and cuddling the bird close to the body. If an owner is serious about trying to change their bird’s behavioral patterns, the aid of a behavioral consultant will likely be necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »