Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  clipping quail beaks...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: clipping quail beaks...  (Read 9005 times)
kansasquail

« on: August 09, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »

i haven't ever clipped quail beaks before...but now my quail are going crazy with pecking and i bought a hand clipper and was wondering if i should clip the beaks when the quail hatch or should i wait an week or so to clip them? also i herd i should clip about 1/3 of the beak off i that true? thank you.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »

If you have a pecking problem, you have other problems. Too many/too small a space. Diet. Other stress related factors. You should address the above problems & only clip if no other choice is available. And not 1/3rd. That would be far too much, without the heated type. The only place I've ever seen clipping has been those production "factories" for chickens.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:02:28 AM »

I've never had the need to clip them.  As Reeves stated, overcrowding, diet, and stress.  Plus, too much light and not enough cover may play into it also.  I've been known to put a shovel full of sod (tall weeds, etc. in it) on something that the chicks can get up on in the brooder along with some pine limbs for cover. I heat with a baseboard heater, therefore I am able to dim or turn off the light entirely. If you are able, try turning down (dim) the lighting. Use a red or blue bulb.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
rustyd02359

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:14:59 PM »

Hmmm I have 5-6 month old pheasant and one has a dwon curved beak. Was very long when it was a chic and I am thinking it will curl under, I am assuming I will need to clip this one at some point, not sure.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »

Is the beak crossed ? It could be a deformity from too much inbreeding(and other factors). I'd not use this bird in any breeding program.
Pheasant has nice white meat......
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 05:38:38 AM »

Hey Reeves,
Does the crossed beaks always come from the breeding?  Or is there other reasons for it?  I have several in the last batch of bobwhites I got, never had much of a problem with it before.  Never had several in the same batch before.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:18:22 AM »

If I remember, I'll read up on it again so I get the facts straight....
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:04 AM »

:laugh:  Thank-you.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »