Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51146 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 06:00:05 AM »

WOW reeves is your aviary is going to be 12 acres

You read something wrong !  :laugh:
PAcortunix

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »

LOL  :laugh: I was going to say what are you going to house in their a whole flock of ostrich or something. Owell I still want to see your flight pen when it's done!
 :angel:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:36 PM »

Going to be a while before I do this....unless I get all the pipe soon. I do know where I can get the gas pipe for this project. I will get 10 pipes, they are about 60' each. Bend as in picture. Auger 10" holes, 4' deep and concrete in. Spacing 10'. This will give me 3500 sq. ft.
I have already planted a row in an L shape, of Saskatoons. Next spring I'll do some more planting.
The area it is going is in a corner of where I'm placing chain link in the back yard, so the bottom 6' will be chain link all around, then netting (one inch) will cover the rest of the sides and top. The pipe is 3.5" OD.
Depending on room, I may only bend 8 pipes, which means I'll have 2800 sq. ft. (keep in mind this is for Peafowl)
The building will likely be in the area of 14'x14'. Need room for that male's tail !
I have many projects on the go, so this is not the high priority one. However, it will get done within the next two years.
I'm sure I missed details, but most of what will occur is still in the planning stage.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »

Day late, dollar short. So the saying goes....

I made a call to an Elk Ranch that is getting out of them, as I was told there is fencing in rolls laying in the field next to them. They took down, next to new condition, about 6000' of fence (type I'll be needing) and it is all sold.
Good news is, they are taking down a bunch more next year. I'm on the call list for it !
Wish I had known about this a couple years ago. By now I could have had more in place & taken fence and a few Elk off of his hands !
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »

3 years ago, when feed was hard to get, I had a Rancher give me a 2yr.old bull for a 40 of Wisers Special Blend. Lots of empty Elk farms around Tofield. No market.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 01:46:43 PM »

Nice plan
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 09:04:15 PM »

Though I can't tell much about the pen by that pic., I can say I am jealous just because of the measurements!  :laugh: Peafowl? I remember seeing somewhere where you said you used to keep peafowl many moons ago... what species you planning on? I'll have to keep my eyes on this project... even if it's a couple more years before I see anything!

You plan on bending that pipe yourself, HE-MAN? :laugh: j/k I figure you have "connections" to people with all sorts of trades in your line of work... good luck getting ahold of some pipe and fencing.

Joseph.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »

Not hard to "see" what it would look like, jk. End view is 8 to 10 of the shape in the picture, in a line. Depending on how stable it is when concreted in, I may run more pipe or some 9ga wire along at each of the three bends, to help support the top net.
Because one side will be along where the chain link will go in the back yard, one side will act as pen and fence. (I've not decided on where the house will go yet) Although I do not need to run chain link on the inside of the fence, the pen will look better with it around the whole bottom. Remember, the outside chain link will have the three foot buried like the rest (re: front yard).
Yes, have raised Peafowl several times. (I hate moving, they are such long lived birds !)
But I want Blackshoulder, wife wants Whites. Guess I'll be getting Whites  :laugh:
No connections on a bending machine....yet. I want every one bent the same (fussy) so I'll get what I want, when the time comes (no HE-MAN stuff at my age and pipe size !)
No problem with pipe. I know where the above pen pipe will come from, and when !
With luck, I'll save a bunch of money on fence next spring, when the Elk farm sells off more of their wire....
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 12:14:58 AM »

How you going to fit that bad boy in your yard, is what I'm wondering?  :laugh: I understand the design now... please excuse the huge headache I have as a result of a heck of a first basketball practice.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »

I have much yard  :laugh:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »

I have much yard 

I too have much yard, sadly I have no steel pipe... :'(

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 10:03:46 PM »

sadly I have no steel pipe...

:laugh:

Hooked up the trailer when I got home tonight, more pipe tomorrow !

:angel:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »

Well t-boss, got some more worth-less pipe today. Bit of an interesting drive home ! I had maybe 5lbs tongue weight. At 60mph the trailer wanted to wander. Then took a "short cut" on wet slimy gravel roads, to avoid having to drive through town. At less than 30mph the trailer took off, side to side (nealy ditch to ditch). Slowed down. Important thing, the 1306lb load got home. This is what an 18' trailer looks like with 35' pipe on it  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:48:48 PM by Reeves » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »

Well t-boss, got some more worth-less pipe today. Bit of an interesting drive home ! I had maybe 5lbs tongue weight. At 60mph the trailer wanted to wander. Then took a "short cut" on wet slimy gravel roads, to avoid having to drive through town. At less than 30mph the trailer took off, side to side (nealy ditch to ditch). Slowed down. Improtant thing, the 1306lb load got home. This is what an 18' trailer looks like with 35' pipe on it  :laugh:

That's some nice stuff,  the things I could create with that!

That's alot of leverage behind the trailer wheels!   :eek:

I hauled a load of fill dirt home a couple weeks ago in a dump trailer that belongs to my brother, it is probably the biggest pull behind dump trailer I've ever seen built, It will haul way more than a 1 ton truck needs. Anyway, he who is a heavy equipment owner operator loaded it. The truck was kinda jack knifed where I had to park for it to be loaded, so he filled it up to what he thought the trailer could stand and still dump it, it was around 5 tons. So I pull out, started down the road and couldn't get passed 30 mph!!  Then the State Highway Patrol comes up behind me :eek:, I was sweatin'!!  I made it home........that was scary!  I could hear the hitch working up and down and the darn thing was right on the edge of lifting the weight of the truck up.  I could have knocked his block off!  He knew better than that, I should have checked it myself before I pulled out, I thought that I could trust him to load it properly.....guess not.  The next load I told him where to put the dirt and then I ran 65mph like it wasn't there!  I've hauled 4-6 tons in that trailer many of times with no problems. I thought that I had 3 flats at first or somebody switched my truck out for a Toyota, but it would have never moved it if that were the case.   :grin:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:41:05 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »

Funny stuff guys do sometimes  :laugh:

I was lucky on this drive home. No Police in the 3+ hour drive. Good thing, that load was not even remotely legal !  :laugh:

That is funny about loading ....I normally load off hwy trucks till they squeal (the drivers)
Trucks will handle it, but the drivers want to stretch the job out.
Can't wait for my buddy to haul clay for me, when I re-build my drive way ! He may quit !  :laugh:
(going to dig a pond/dug-out for the clay. Neighbor gets a land improvement for free)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »