Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  bob white, Cortunix, A@M Cortunix, and Florida Giant Pharoah
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bob white, Cortunix, A@M Cortunix, and Florida Giant Pharoah  (Read 7391 times)
brian@devilsgulchranch.co
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:57:09 AM »

We produce meat for our local fine restaurants including pork, lamb, and rabbits.  Many of these restaurants have been requesting that we supply them with quail.  I raised cortunix about 10 years ago hatching out about 30/ week for a number of years.  Now I see not only Cortunix but A@M Cortunix and Florida Giant Pharaoh.  The restaurants asked for bob white quail, but I have no experience with bob white.  I need to ramp to 100/week as soon as possible, still have some size to them, have them get to the table quickly, have a long breeding season, and have ease in breeding/hatching/and getting to market.  I know that our poultry plant want white feathered birds.   What are the strong points and weakness of the 4 breeds? Is there a value in having more then one breed?

Thank you
Brian King
Director Educational Services
Devil's Gulch Ranch

Brian
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »

I've only eaten Coturnix so I can't swear to this, but I've been told there is a distinct taste difference between Bobs and Japs.  If your customer wants Bob's he/she might not be satisfied with Coturnix'.  But if I were raising them (coturnix) for meat (and I am!) I go for the Jumbo's... almost 50% bigger than the little ones, even the A&M's and Tuxedos.

G'luck

John
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »

Some things to consider.

Coturnix incubate at around 17 days and mature at 8 weeks.
Bobs incubate at around 23 days and mature at 16 weeks.

There are various strains for size.
For Bobs, there are the Butler Giants which get around 16oz. Georgia Giants get around that size also.

Texas A&M have white meat.

I prefer the taste of Bobwhite meat over Coturnix. I notice a scent in Coturnix meat. It's fine fried though.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:46:25 PM »

hey
   i raise 3 of the 4 that you listed.
Florida Giants
Texas A&Ms
Bobwhite ( 5 varieties )

The texas a&ms were good birds years ago but it is hard to find anyone now adays that has kept up good lines and still has a good meaty bird. but they do have white feathers. average price for adults $.50

The Florida Giants i would say is the biggest ones i have got ahold of. I got my start off a man on e-bay that is from down in Florida some where ( how appropriate ) If you are intersted in trying those he can get you a better price than i can - he has 300 eggs listed on e-bay right now for $19.99 not including shipping These are big birds and lay vary large eggs average price for adult $2.00

The bobwhites - the biggest ones you can get your hands on are the butlers and georgia giants and maybe cunninghams. I have had the butlers but could never see that there was any difference between them and the georgia giants. the Georgia giants are HUGE birds and would probibly eat a florida giant - you may think i am joking but i am seriouse. you take a florida giant or A&M chick and throw it in with a bunch of bobwhite chicks - that boys a gonner! avg price for adult $5.00

When its all said and done If you have a meat market cornered the Florida's i would say are the way to go.
KC

~what good are birds without feathers?~
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »

I just received 300 eggs from the guy in florida.I ordered them after reading this post and 126 of them were broken and most of them were small eggs not large like the gaints produce.His packing really sucks but he spent alot of time doing it...I hav sent him emails but no response..Any one wanting really good jumbo browns email me and I will give you a guy in Huston that is A+++++++++ with really good eggs and I got a really good hatch from them..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »

I also bought from the guy in Florida  and he will send 30 extra eggs   I received the eggs with only 2 busted.  and i have bought from him multiple times. I think it all depends on were you live and who are your mail carriers   I live in sandwich ill  and have always received good service thru the mail. I will recommend him to you  and if you need his info just leave me a message
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »

He's where I got my stock and they are the ones the John has.  I've always had really good service from him, no complaints here.
transzam
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 06:49:36 AM »

Would appreciate it if I could get hold of this chap in Florida to purchase some eggs.can someone supply an email address?
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:47 PM »

I don't have his email but his user id is 31seminole on ebay.  You can sent him a message through ebay and find out what his next auctions will be.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 01:17:28 PM »

Yes I've also purchased from 31seminole. He does send alot of extras. On my small order, everything went fine.

One of my orders was 100+Florida giant eggs. At that time, though the eggs where well packaged, he sent it in an overlly small box. As soon as I received the box, I could already see leakage from within. Needless to say, there were alot of brokens...but I didn't complain since I was only going to incubate a few and pickle the rest. But..ya it could be an isolated situation where he ran out of big boxes? Or perhaps he's improved?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

Well he has not improved and he is to chicken to answer my emails...Also a large portion of the eggs were very small.  The guy in Hustons eggs are hugh and out of 400 eggs ordered hav only had 1 broken and he sends plenty of extras also...This guy in Florida does not know how to pack eggs...Good Luck to everyone who orders eggs....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jhudson

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

I also received a shipment of eggs from him a few weeks ago. He indicated that he had just started using the shipping foam. Out of 144 eggs shipped, 47 were broken. He did offer to send another batch and only require me to pay the shipping.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »