Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  I need advice about a quail chick that found us.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need advice about a quail chick that found us.  (Read 1948 times)
help!
« on: July 12, 2006, 01:25:15 AM »

Some wild Valley quail hatched out some chicks on July 3 and left one behind in our yard.  The little chick followed us around all day until we finally brought it in when it got dark.  We have had the chick in a box under a heat lamp, and it is doing great.  It loves to sleep in our hands, but it doesn't like to be alone, and we're not sure what to do with it.  We have raised chickens in the past and are set up to raise chickens, but this is not the right time of year to buy chicks, and we're not sure if they would get along with the quail.  We have considered trying to buy more quail, but again, it doesn't seem to be the right time of year, and I'm not sure if they would get along with this one.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 06:38:24 AM »

If you have raised baby chickens, you may be able to do so with the Quail. Put a wee teddy bear in with it to snuggle. (worked for me) You'll need a high protien starter, 28-30%. Temp to keep is 95f and drop 5 degrees a week.
That little guy will be able to fly at about 7 days old. They are a nervous bird as well. High strung.

Good luck !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »