Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Turtle trap
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turtle trap  (Read 6484 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:26:50 PM »

Here is a pic I got off of birdsrus.proboards74.com for people with ducks loss because of turtles. Or if you are some on who enjoys turtle meat

It was on ebay and looks relitivly easy to make.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:14:16 PM »

Easy to make....yeh.

But I must not know anything about turtles, I guess.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:28:33 AM »

I'm guessing the tuna can is for a meat type bait (dog food?) and the soda bottles keep the topside up!  Not enough top float the whole thing just keep it rightside up.

John
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »

super easy to build. 30"x16"x16". Only problem is those snappers get a whole lot bigger that that cage. I have caught them with a 36" diameter shell, and that was while fishing for catfish. I am going to set out some lines for turtles next month when they come in season.

mike
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »

The nice thing about turtle traps.......you only have to bait them once a season. The "captured" turtles do the bating the rest of the summer.  Just looking at the picture, I figure the pop bottles are to keep it partially above water thus converting it to a live trap for relocating or keeping them alive for the meat.  I've always used a drowning set (no floatation) and since it is based on a funnel trap....up and down or sideways, they will get in. Don't raise ducks, but I've used them MANY times in farm ponds.

David
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 09:14:20 AM by stewaw » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »

Easy to make....yeh.

But I must not know anything about turtles, I guess.

Duh!!  I guess that I should have paid more attention, for some reason I was thinking "land based" turtles (eating eggs) when I made that comment. The words "duck loss" should have been a clue too. That's why I couldn't get what all the bottles, etc. were for, I though that maybe turtles liked garbage or something.  LOL!!   :laugh:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »