Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Over Wintering.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Over Wintering.  (Read 3079 times)
DesONeile
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »

I had this in the Bird Dog Section and was advised to post here. The one reply I got suggested that pairing off the birds might not be the way to go.

I have been training Pointers for almost exactly thirty years but only recently had access to quail for training. Whereas in theory all types are available we use Courtnix and Bobwhite. The courtnix, up to now at any rate, don't return to the Johnny House so we toss them into the cover, let the young dogs find them and when we think either the pointers, the quail or we have had enough, get a spaniel to bring them back to hand. We have had no bother to date rearing young each year, or keeping the Courtnix over the winter.
We use the Bobwhite out of a portable Johnny House mainly because as they aren't an indigenous species we can’t release them permanently but we use them very much the way you folks do in America. Our problem with the Bobwhite is keeping them over the winter. Last February all our breeding stock died. To keep when over the winter they were paired off in songbird cages and kept in the mews in exactly the same conditions as the Courtnix yet over about a week in February the Bobs died one by one.

Your Advice please.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:58:39 PM »

How cold does it get during the winter, where you are located?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:30:18 AM »

That was my thought also.
I live in Michigan and sometimes we get to subzero temps for short periods.
I can see them freezing to death if just paired up.
They need to be kept in colonies, much like a natural covey to keep each other warm.
Sometimes I supplement it even during the coldest times with a red 250w heat lamp if needed.
Usually keep birds of 15-25 together depending on the size of the pen.
These are for my Bobs, my Coturnix seem hardier for some reason.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
DesONeile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

I am in Bangor, Co Down, Northern Ireland.
It is interesting to note that at least one other person's Courtnix seem a bit hardier than the Bobwhite. We probably had sub zero temperatures in February but we would also tend to be damp along with the cold.
I will rig up a thermostat for next winter. What should I set it for and could the birds be encouraged to lay it the temperature was kept high enough?
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »

The coturnix lay based on hours of light, not temperature.  It has been reported that they will lay in sub zero temperatures if the light were sufficient.  I believe it is around 17 hours.  You will get frozen eggs at those temperatures.
DesONeile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 03:35:14 PM »

It's the Bobwhite I am going to rig up the thermostat for. The Courtnix are OK.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »