Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  How do you cull birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you cull birds  (Read 19021 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »

How do you cull chicks and adults? Thanks for your time.
woodenegg
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »

The vet approved method is to build a CO2 generator using plastic bags, a cup, vinegar and baking soda.  I have seen a link that gives very good directions.  This method has been tested by vets, and the dead do not have any of the stress induced chemicals in the brain which they say demonstrates it was not cruel.  If I can find the link again, I will post it.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »

put the head between your thumb and forefinger and snap real fast will break their neck
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:47:42 AM by jchiar » Logged
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »

I don't think I can do that jchair. I can't kill stuff hands on, give me a bb gun, 22. or what have you and I can do it, but I don't think I can snap its neck.
firefly
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:10:42 PM »

I had to kill a very deformed chick. I put it in a bag and dropped a brick on it. The first time I read of this method I thought it sounded awful, but it was fast and seemed very humane for both the bird and me!
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:33:12 PM »

I was thinking of making something like this. hehe :laugh:
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »

that would work nice
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 11:03:58 AM »

Culling birds is just part of the deal along with feeding and watering. You certainly can take the "leave them alone and let nature run its course" and while that is certainly 100% effective and allows you to eliminate bearing witness too it, that method is shirking your responsibility in my opinion.  The fastest method in my opinion is off with their heads between the thumb and forefinger but I also recognize alot of people can't stomach that method. The culled chicks don't go to waste as I have a beagle who gratiously accepts them as "scooby snacks". The second method I would recommend is the CO (carbon monoxide) method. You can certainly construct a CO2 generator but an alternative method to this is a shoebox (or other size appropriate tightly sealed box) with a hole cut in it the size of the exhaust pipe on your family vehicle and simply insert the birds into the box, start the engine, slide the hole over the exhaust pipe and go inside the house for a glass of tea.....By the time you are done with your beverage, they will be too and if it makes you feel better since you didn't have to see it then so be it. The job has been done and it's certainly more humane than leaving them to flop around on the floor until dehydration or starvation gets them. I personally raise most of my birds for eating so the blood and guts stuff is something that doesn't get to me but I also understand there are MANY folks who simply want them around for pets and I believe it's important for us to all be compasionate and understanding (that satement is not intended to bash anyone who posted) although I must say I LOVED the mini gullitene (spelling) but at 100+ butcher birds at a time I'd run out of daylight before I got done, not to mention I'd probably loose a finger in it.

Enjoy your birds,
David
mikken

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 11:59:54 PM »

http://www.finchniche.com/f-culling.mgi

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 05:01:08 AM »

Culling birds is just part of the deal along with feeding and watering. You certainly can take the "leave them alone and let nature run its course" and while that is certainly 100% effective and allows you to eliminate bearing witness too it, that method is shirking your responsibility in my opinion.  The fastest method in my opinion is off with their heads between the thumb and forefinger but I also recognize alot of people can't stomach that method. The culled chicks don't go to waste as I have a beagle who gratiously accepts them as "scooby snacks". The second method I would recommend is the CO (carbon monoxide) method. You can certainly construct a CO2 generator but an alternative method to this is a shoebox (or other size appropriate tightly sealed box) with a hole cut in it the size of the exhaust pipe on your family vehicle and simply insert the birds into the box, start the engine, slide the hole over the exhaust pipe and go inside the house for a glass of tea.....By the time you are done with your beverage, they will be too and if it makes you feel better since you didn't have to see it then so be it. The job has been done and it's certainly more humane than leaving them to flop around on the floor until dehydration or starvation gets them. I personally raise most of my birds for eating so the blood and guts stuff is something that doesn't get to me but I also understand there are MANY folks who simply want them around for pets and I believe it's important for us to all be compasionate and understanding (that satement is not intended to bash anyone who posted) although I must say I LOVED the mini gullitene (spelling) but at 100+ butcher birds at a time I'd run out of daylight before I got done, not to mention I'd probably loose a finger in it.

Enjoy your birds,
David

LOL!!   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 06:18:25 AM »

Off with their heads :laugh:
JohnInDixon
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »

How about pounding a bunch of nails in the roof of their pen so they stick through, then startle them!  They'll jump straight up and be hanging there waiting for you to butcher!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:43:13 PM »

How about pounding a bunch of nails in the roof of their pen so they stick through, then startle them!  They'll jump straight up and be hanging there waiting for you to butcher!

Now that is just mean!

Maybe even cruel and unusual?

I like new ideas! LOL!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »

Had to do one tonight.

Toilet works fine also.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 12:12:34 AM »

Toilet works fine also.

That's called a "white water rafting trip".

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »