Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  pheasant chick isn't right
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pheasant chick isn't right  (Read 2978 times)
lhamid
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:53:44 AM »

My 1st pheasant hatched yesterday, something is wrong with it though. It doesn't seem to be able to stand or walk. It keeps its head down and scratches its head with its foot.  (It is weird, never seen a bird do that, it reminds me of how a dog scratches its head with a back leg...).  Toes are clenched, but it can unclench them. I put a pipe cleaner splint on one foot last night, it got it off and was still alive this AM.  Since then 3 more have hatched, they are healthy and another is piping.  Any idea what is wrong with this 1st one? Is there a chance it will 'grow out of it? Is there something I can do to help it?
wolfeman

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:49:40 PM »

How is your Pheasant Chick doing now?  I had a quail chick backing up and having seizures all day.  Started giving a mixture of game starter (mashed a little smaller) mixed with vitamin E oil from 1 capsule.  The quail stopped backing up and seizing after 1 day.  It did start scratching its head keeping it down,but would loose it's ballance and fall over (2 days ago).  I checked today and couldn't single out the sick chick from it's 10 siblings.  I've been giving 2 Vitamin E caps (Oil) mixed with the top layer of feed every day for a week, no more scratching or seizures with any of the chicks.
lhamid
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:40:50 AM »

My husband was ready to take this bird out of the brooder, he said it wasn't going to make it. I said no, let's give it a chance.  I added liquid baby vitamins to the water.  By the next day it was much better!  Now you can't even tell which one it was.  Full recovery!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »