Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Bloody legs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bloody legs  (Read 5581 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: April 12, 2005, 10:22:48 PM »

I've got a problem of bloody legs in one of my breeder pens. It's a 3' x 5' rollout, 1" x 1/2" on the floor, with no sharp objects in the cage. I've lost 1 male and 1 female so far, and it looks like I'm going to lose a couple more females. I startes with 5 males and 15 hens in there. Am I doing something wrong? I'm thinking I've got one of them doing this to the others. Any advise?

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
penny's dad
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 06:48:49 AM »

YOU CAN DEBEAK THE WHOLE BUNCH BUT I WOULD'T GO TO THE EXTREME WITH IT ON THE MALES . THEY NEED THEIR BEAK FOR BREEDING. OR YOU CAN WATCH REAL CLOSE TO TRY AND FIND THE CULPRIT AND DEBEAK IT CLOSE THIS MIGHT BUST IT UP. P.D.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 05:43:09 PM »

I had a similar problem last summer & lost a couple birds.
They had them pecked down to the bone. I saved one but ddin't happen again. AT the time I thought it was from overcrowding.

Are these your Tenn Reds ?

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:12:01 PM »

No, these are my bobwhite breeders. I noticed today in another cage, was a few with open wounds on thier legs, same place as the others. Just above the "ankle". I'm thinking it's time to debeak them before it gets too serious. So that leads to my next question....

Can I use toenail clippers to trim thier beaks, or should I use something different?  I read somewhere that it's the females not wanting to share thier male, or something of that nature.

If someone has some better insight into this problem, and the fix, I'd be much appreciated. This is my first year breeding quail, and as you can see, I'm still in the learning curve ;-)

Thanks in advance for any and all help 8)

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:46:26 PM »

Ok, so monday I'm going to debeak all the hens in my breeding stock. Seeing as they are adults, should I just clip the very tip of the beak, or more than just the tip? I'm assuming I don't want to go too far back as to create a bloody mess. I've never done this before, and need all the advise I can get. Please help :-)

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 07:07:27 AM »

Toe nail clippers or dog nail clippers will work.  Just the tip of the top beak. I keep a wood burning iron (soldering iron will work also) handy in case I get too far back and it begins bleeding.  I suppose a styptic pencil would also work although I've never used one for that.  Keep in mind, they are just like us when it comes to a head wound or nose bleed.....It can look a LOT worse than it actually is.

David
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully this takes care of the little buggers.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
thatahemi
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 08:49:31 PM »

I HAVE 3 FEMALE AND 6  MALE BOBS IN A 4X6 FOOT PEN.4 OF THE MALES AND 1 FEMALE HAVE THE BLOODY SORES JUST ABOVE THE ANKLE AS WELL. IS THIS FROM PECKING OR SOME KIND OF INFECTION? I GAVE THEM SOME ANTIBIOTICS A DAY AGO. IS THIS A COMMON OCCURANCE? SHOULD I DEBEAK THE ONES THAT DON'T HAVE SORES? THEY WERE FINE ALL FALL AND WINTER.
topknot1
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:19 PM »

I purchased some bitter apple at the feed store which is a taste deterent for dogs and this seemed to help with the pick at each others toes on chicks maybe this will help with the older ones too.
DEBBE
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »

Just finding this sight makes me feel not alone. My father and Ihave been trying to raise bobs  for a year now . As chicks they hatch out fine then the trouble starts. Sores on feet and leg joints .I medacate sperate lose alot of chicks and some times they lose a lim or toe .Sent corpes to Ohio state .No answers. I have chaned my hole operation instead of boxes I have open cages with liht bulbs .Hoping this helps .Thankyou for any help Debbe
ridgetop
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »

Hey Everyone...

When I first started raising bobwhites I had the same problem above the ankels but knew there was no picking going on.Took a bird to the vet..It came out that they were not getting the right nutrients,protein etc..This was because on my part I was feeding them more grains then anything.The vet made sure I put them back on higher protein crumbles..Not saying this is your case too just something I have learned from the past......
DEBBE
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 07:16:31 PM »

Thankyou Iwill go to the feed mill in the morring.Annd get a higher protine feed debbe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »