Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:29:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Introducing New Males to Older Hens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing New Males to Older Hens  (Read 5254 times)
tweezy50
Expert Member

« on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »

I have a decision to make and I need some other opinions to consider. s85

Over the course of the winter, I lost several of my roosters (Coturnix)  So now I have  an unbalanced numer of hens to roosters.

My question is;  Should I save a few roosters from this first hatch to put with the hens when the roosters are mature enough to mate?  I would put them all in a diffrent cage so the surroundings are new to all of them, or should I just cull the mature hens and start with all fresh roosters and hens?

I do have a few "groups" of 3/1 that I'm using now, so production hasn't completely stopped waiting for the chicks I have to grow up.

This isn't a BIG deal, but I don't want to save these older hens if it isn't going to work and they kill a new rooster.

I know Mother Nature can have a warped sense of humor sometimes, but I would like other more experienced opinions.

Thanks
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

I assume you have read the "cage within a cage" method, here.  I would get them together, or in adjacent cages, now, before the mating urge overwhelms the new kids.  Being mounted by horny runts wouldn't make the hens any more welcoming of newcomers.

On the other hand, If your hens are old enough that they are close to being "laid out", total replacement may be wiser.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »

Thanks Wilder.

The hens aren't that old, hatched out last fall, themselves, but I do some for the BBQ soon as I just sold all I had in the freezer.  Maybe would be best to just pop their little heads off and start with all "same age" groups.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

Easier on you that way, but might mean waiting a little longer for fertile eggs.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »

Good point but I still have some  groups of 3 for filling the incubator.

Bout overwhelmed myself with the production last year.  Maybe starting this year with fewer will let me correct my mistakes before they get out of hand again !

Thanks again for your input on the situation
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »

I haven't had any problems with putting different aged BW's together as long as it's done properly wg had previously mentioned. I'd get some use out of those mature hens if it was feasible.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »

Thanks Charlie.   I have given it some thought and come up with another use for the infertile eggs from those hens besides using them in cooking and pickling, so may just keep them on the "Grren Mile" for a while.

Thanks guys
bkvail

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:31 PM »

Thanks Charlie.   I have given it some thought and come up with another use for the infertile eggs from those hens besides using them in cooking and pickling, so may just keep them on the "Grren Mile" for a while.

Thanks guys

what's your other use?  inquiring minds wanna know  :grin:

Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out!
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »

Well,

We have this older dog that needs to take medicine.  She's really strange, in that if you try to give her the tablet in  peanut butter or anything else, she will take it, eat the peanut butter or hot dog or whatever and then spit out the capsule.  If we crush the tablet into the peanut butter, she won't touch it.  But we tried crushing the pill into a quail egg and she slurpped it right down.  I think the egg will help her coat, also.

I'm happy dancin' that I finally outsmarted my dog! p33
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

I also use them for crafte project.

Soak them in vinegar just long enough to remove the spots and make them white...blow them out.....wash them well.....and use them in many projects.  You can make mini Easter eggs tha way.
bkvail

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »

some of the eggs I got had a blue undertone instead of white - is that common?  I have been trying to figure out craft projects for the eggs too - you could still eat the egg by blowing them out - great trick for the dog medicine!  My shar-pei/rotty cross dog is a tricky one too - he reallly chews his food, so he spits out medicine too.  The black Lab on the otherhand - she inhales everything, so she's easy to give meds to! LOL!

Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »