Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  CALL BACK PEN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CALL BACK PEN  (Read 10432 times)
britt hunter
« on: July 24, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »

I am new to training dogs and using birds.  I have 20 bobwhite quail i am raising they are 7 weeks old when is the best time of year to release? and how many do i leave in the call back pen to call them back?
chizekfarm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 07:57:29 PM »

i have customers here that release bw's a early as 5-weeks but i think you will be alright until they are 14-weeks.  they seem to take to the wild reallly well.  just dont release last year hatch thinking they will broad little one's they willbe bobcat  and coon food.   im here in kasas so im sure it might be different in your state. good luck
britt hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 10:31:19 AM »

I am new to this I want the birds to come back so I can reuse them over and over. I need to know how many birds do I keep in the call back pen to call them back aswell as when do i start training the birds to do this before i let my dogs find them?
mikewvgsp
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 10:59:58 AM »

Britt Hunter
All you need in the call back pen is 1 but you can have 1/2 of them or so in
there...You can get the Total Recall from covey base camp and do not need
to keep any quail the recall pen....   www.qualitywildlife.com As far as when to let them go I start at 8 weeks. dont know if this is wright or not but I think it works fine........  
                 Mike
        M T C GAMEBIRDS
britt hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 01:57:38 PM »

What I have read it says to leave a call bird in the "call back pen" what is a call back bird? is it male or female? how can I tell sex apart?
coveyrun
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 06:53:01 AM »

The male will do more calling especially when he is lonly. I would leave a few males in the call back pen. He will be the guy with white on his face and some dark brown to black on his head.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »