Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  dumb question on wet bulb
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dumb question on wet bulb  (Read 5352 times)
skipper3905

« on: June 29, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »

I have had some trouble on hatches and thought it might be a humidity problem. Some sites with incubation info just refer to wet bulb readings. Wet bulb is mentioned everywhere in this forum. I just can't figure out what a wet bulb is. Have only used relative humidity.  Did a search on this forum, picked up a "wick" is needed, but could not quite figure out what was meant by "wick". Not sure what is done with it either. Tried looking on suppliers sites but don't see wet bulbs offered for sale. I am sure there is something real simple here that is just flying by me. 
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »

A wick is a piece of cloth manufactured in a hollow tube type form (like a drinking straw).  You slide the wick onto the end of the thermometer (inside of the incubator) and let the other end hang down into the water pan.

The wick will "wick" the water up to the thermometer.  As the fan blows air across the wick, the reading on the thermometer will be your wet bulb reading.

Don't leave the wick on the thermometer for too long (weeks) or else it will crust and dry up.

Here are some pics of a wick, thermometer, wick installed and wick in a catalogue that can be bought.

skipper3905

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »

Birdbrained,

Thanx for the info. Can you tell me who supplies this? I have not seen this in any catalogs I use. Appreciate it.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »

I have had some trouble on hatches and thought it might be a humidity problem. Some sites with incubation info just refer to wet bulb readings. Wet bulb is mentioned everywhere in this forum. I just can't figure out what a wet bulb is. Have only used relative humidity.  Did a search on this forum, picked up a "wick" is needed, but could not quite figure out what was meant by "wick". Not sure what is done with it either. Tried looking on suppliers sites but don't see wet bulbs offered for sale. I am sure there is something real simple here that is just flying by me. 

If you looked in the incubation forum you would have noticed a topic that was pinned as the first topic by Reeves :Incubation and Humidity
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?board=11.0 and could have saved you time in searching for your answers.

Cutler supply sells the wicks and thermometers. http://www.cutlersupply.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=6606641.1057*VS6DH

wicks: http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/item.0445.html

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:39:07 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »

I purchased mine from Culter Supply also.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
skipper3905

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

Will go to Cutler's and pick up. thanx all
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »