Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Lake Cumberland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lake Cumberland  (Read 9600 times)
chewchew
Expert Member

« on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »

i ordered 50 bobs on  7/4/07.. got them in on 8/8/07.. i don't know if thats a long time? but i was unhappy with the timing. but this was my first time ordering eggs. so i don't know if that slow. they sad the birds were not put out good numbers. but 53 clean eggs showed up. no broken eggs.

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »

Well yea that's quite a long time to wait for eggs. During that time, they could have invested your money and made a 50% profit in stocks. LOL
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »

lol..

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:43:48 PM »

I have bought day old from them a few times with get sucess. The birds were all health and had only a few die but the extras made up for them and then some. I dont know about the eggs they send but I can speak of the excellent service they have and as well as theit customer service. I hold them in the greatest regards when it comes to ordering any birds from them. This is only speaking from the great sucesses I have had from them personally.
Dusty
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »

Hello All, we were needing some good meat birds (jumbo browns) and I 1st ordered my jumbo browns from them when  I had my 1st place that burnt I had 136 @6-8 weeks old all came from 250 jumbo brown eggs they sent me and I've still never seen a better bigger bird from them.  Mr. Wilson has always got right back to me when I emailing him with any questions about birds I've had. my dad and I were getting the money together to order some jumbo browns from Lake Cumberland Game Bird Farm. They're not cheap like most try to be but I had like $75 was only gonna get 250 and get the rest to total up to $135 to get at the time 500 was $135 NOW $105. Well as I'm sitting there gonna call dad up so he cover the rest they all of a sudden ran a sale in there right when I was reading it they had 1000 for $150 I ordered the 1000 on the wed. and they got them out to us on mon. and were here on wed. a week later sent me 1050 not many were cracked just mainly where a little hole camo'd in the shell hard to see so they were packed very well. I've gotten northern eggs from them several times and have always gotten the best results from them and I've DONE HAD THE REST we will see how they do. Merry CHRISTMAS, GOD BLESS, Tommy
skipper3905

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »

I ordered 500 Bobwhite eggs and received 529, none broken or damaged. Took about 10 days to ship but came in promptly when shipped, was not a problem to me. Due March 1st. Candled about half of them a few days ago and did not find a single blank. Not unreasonable to assume all will be fertile.

This is my first try at hatching quail and I can't believe I am so lucky so far. Batting 1000 to date. I know this can't keep up but if there is a problem from here, it is mine, not Cumberlands. To say I am very satisfied is a understatement.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »

I have had no problems with Lake Cumberland.  Just received my bobwhites as well as my Chukar.  Not one broken, quick shipping and extra eggs, like always. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
skipper3905

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

Sort of a update on my purchase from Lake Cumberland. Bought 500 Northern Bobwhite eggs, got 529. Received all in perfect shape. Not a single egg cracked. My estimate is I already have around 300 in the brooder. All are healthy and increadibly active. Thought I might have one casualty, one jumped out of the hatching tray and escaped me. A few hours later I heard him chirping in a closet. Put him in the brooder and apparently doing fine. Tomorrow is the 23rd day so very likely I will have a extremely high success percentage.

It is almost impossible to open the brooder without chicks jumping out. These little suckers are rocking. 

Just real happy with Lake Cumberland to say the least.

Got a question though. Some of the chicks came out a lot larger than others. Some of the eggs were larger, just lost track of who came out of what. Anyway, is that normal for regular Northern Bobwhites or could there be some Georgia or Wisconsin strains in the eggs I  bought?
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:28:45 AM »

Hello skipper, They prolly are all the same species as you may or may not know the chick inside the eggs can grow to diff. sizes inside of the egg. The eggs will not all be the same size as the air sac inside will be enuff for the chick to survive. I love Mr. Wilson's eggs I've switched when "the other" had rude comments and don't care about our success is why they sell them so cheap. Mr.Wilson in my opinion is one of the best if not THE BEST one to get eggs from. You gotta order them early as with most farms get swamped and booked up so orders may not go out in a weeks notice. Generally 2 weeks time will go bye before you get your eggs most of the time sooner but in the summer it may be 3-6 weeks time before you get your order. You can't always get a "warning" your eggs are on the way I know as when I had to order eggs bye the time I finally got the money for the eggs I was ready for them way before I even ordered them. I'm a small time operation right now but this summer I'll be up and going pretty solid and will be able to do 700-1000 eggs a day(300 now) I have a few other contacts if needed to get more eggs If anyone needs them from someone else for another strain. I've got 5 strains and some are mixed up. Lake cumberland is GREAT.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
skipper3905

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:55:51 PM »

Sort of a wrap up on how I did on my first hatch. Ordered 500 eggs from Lake Cumberland, got 529. Had about 100 that did not hatch. Most tried cracking out of the egg but did not make it. Very likely something I did wrong. Almost all the eggs were fertile.

All the hatched chicks were healthy, but lost about half the birds over the next couple of weeks. Certainly nothing to do with Cumberland. Most just got too cold. Most of the losses were in a homemade brooder where I needed one more heat lamp one very cold night. A few others kicked the bucket for various reasons. All in all, I am not displeased.

Ordered another 500 eggs from Cumberland. Got 620 or so and not a one cracked. Two orders with perfect shipping results! They have just been great. Think I will do a lot better with this batch since my training wheels are beginning to come off.

I am thinking the next batch I order will be the Georgia jumbos. Has anybody purchased those from Cumberland? Just wondering if they get into that 16 oz range.

Hopefully, I will order my first pheasant eggs in about 5 weeks. Think I will be beginning to get my arms around this thing by then.  Hope I don't run into any new problems with them. 

Planning on releasing the first batch of about 250 bobs in a couple of weeks. That will make them about six weeks old. Was planning on a five week release but nights probably still a little chilly then here in East Texas. Have planted quite a few grain crops but won't have any seed on the ground until fall, of course. Going to put some feeders out, read pros and cons on that.   
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:18 AM »

Hello Skipper, I'm a lil bit west of Ft.worth about 2 1/2 hours and I'd definately wait a lil bit longer to release them. I'm pretty sure we'll have a good cold spell AGAIN like last year remember on april 1st we had snow hit here in Lake Brownwood. My dad and I went after chuikar chicks in cenrtal/east Tx and it was misting there. As we got a few miles on the way back dads wife called and said snow was on the ground we were amazed seeing the differant transformations of out trip and when we gfot back up here had 3" of snow on the ground when we laft at 6:00 it was just a lil wet is all. Just to be safe I'd hold off a few more weeks as when young birds get scared they'll pile and smother one another.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
skipper3905

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »

Tommy,   I am in Tyler, TX. Usually weather does not get as tough as your part of Texas. Back November 11-12, 1976 I spent a miserable weekend camping out near Comanche, TX. There was well over two feet of snow in one night. Never seen anything like that.  Was I cold!!

I have my birds in three groups. Two in growout pens and one batch still in brooder. The ones in the pens are doing well but we had a big rain today and I haven't been down to see them. Hope all made it. Have good cover for them if they got under it. I think you are right, though. I am going to wait a little longer than I originally planned. 
greyghost
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:49:22 PM »

Hi all, I am hobby breeder at best. BUT, I get Bobwhite eggs from Dianne Grice in Alabama. I buy 100 at a time and get any where from 120 to 150. My hatch rate is about 85% Interested? dianne2613@centurytel.net  Tell Her Dave from Ill sent 'ya. She can do big numbers also.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:59:52 PM »

Has it ever occured to any of you that   Lake Cumberland has suppliers, that are filling all of these wonderful orders of eggs you are praising them for???  So before anyone dismisses anothers eggs take in consideration that maybe just maybe they came from them!!

c110

My, that sounds bitter. 

"Has it ever occured to any of you that   Lake Cumberland has suppliers"  No, we're all too stupid to think (but some of us can spell).  Good thing we have you here, now.  Welcome aboard.

Another 15 minute member?

Big Oil, Big Drug companies,  Big Wal-Mart, now it's Big Hatcheries.  No doubt a Vast Conspericy against The Workers Party.

I've never bought from them, but will now.  They usually are unable to supply an incubator full of Georgia Giant eggs.  However, I was thinking about expanding to Coturnix.

I have trouble coordinating with 2-3 guys to burn grass, or build a pen.  If Lake Cumberland is able to put together five, or a dozen, or a hundred suppliers and supply good eggs, and birds, they should be praised, not ridiculed.  Especially if they are shipped from suppliers that are closer than their main office.  As long as they don't put dirty eggs in as NPIP clean.  (I predict someone will suddenly remember hearing "somewhere" that "someone" said that "something like that" happened "somewhere").

After all that rant, I will say I would tend to buy from medium size producers, assuming they would appreciate the business.  One problem with small producers can be old eggs, since it takes longer to accumulate a thousand eggs, with 50 layers than with 500, and so on.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:14:13 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »

Hi all, I am hobby breeder at best. BUT, I get Bobwhite eggs from Dianne Grice in Alabama. I buy 100 at a time and get any where from 120 to 150. My hatch rate is about 85% Interested? dianne2613@centurytel.net  Tell Her Dave from Ill sent 'ya. She can do big numbers also.

Thanks for the suggestion, I sent her an e-mail.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »