Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  bad timing!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: bad timing!  (Read 9898 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: May 23, 2004, 02:13:55 PM »

Put 30 quail eggs in the incubator Friday afternoon. Two hours later a massive thunderstorm dropping hail wiped out the electricity. I took the incubator up to my attic which was in the high 80's, until the next morning when the power came back on. Plugged it back in and got the temp back up. Just wondering if it's going to be a waste of time, or since it was so close to the beginning of the process if they will be fine. What effect will this have on my hatch? Talk about bad timing!  :(

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
shagomatic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:21:19 PM »

2 Hours probably wasn't hardly enough time for the eggs to get up to temp.  They will be fine.  In the wild eggs take all sorts of fluctuations in stride.  I had some duck eggs that sat out overnite after 2 weeks of incubation and were roughly 50 degrees when I found them.  Cool temps are not a problem like temps that are too high.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 06:27:20 AM »

Man I feel your pain. I keep telling the old man that a portable generator is a GREAT idea. We experienced a power outage just cause our electric company is lame. Anyway...I put all the babies in a towel lined clothes basket and put them in the jeep with the heater full blast. As for the eggs in the incubator?....well so far out of 300 eggs only 26 have hatched. We went ahead and candled the rest of the ones that would have been affected by the loss of temperature and some have just stopped developing.

Anyway...need a back up plan. I don't care if they kids can not watch TV, but I do care if my babies die or we spend all this time collecting eggs just to have to throw them out. GENERATOR is the word of the day.

Too bad they are not free :wink:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 08:37:05 AM »

I'll keep you posted on the hatch. A few of those eggs probably weren't fertile anyway. I'll candle them in about a week and see what's happening. :) What do you think about a solar powered battery backup unit? Think something like that could be rigged up? Probably won't get motivated till I have a larger incubator and start doing hundreds of eggs at a time.  8)

shagomatic
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 05:29:30 PM »

You could hook it up to a battery back-up for computers.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 09:38:17 PM »

Ahh! A UPS "uninterupted power source" just gave one of those away a few months ago because it was big and hummed to much!  :?

shagomatic
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 10:29:19 PM »

They make them much smaller, quieter, and cheaper now.  :wink:
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 06:48:07 AM »

Shagomatic, you are a genius :shock: ....or just good at thinking out of the box. Anyway...the back-up battery is a great idea.

Thanks for the input.

We had a terrible storm last night and I laid awake waiting for the power to go out. It didn't but the stress is gonna kill me.  :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
shagomatic
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:43:32 PM »

Its easy to think outside the box when they leave the lid off!  :P   I hope it helps you sleep easier at night!
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 09:11:16 AM »

Candled today and only have 2 out of the 30 that are clear. Was gone over the weekend and forgot to check the water tray before leaving. It was bone dry this morning, hope I didn't dry them out too bad. Noticed one egg had a chip out of the shell but the membrane was intact. Showed a dark spot when I candled it, will this egg hatch? Didn't notice the chip when I put them in the bator. The spot is maybe an eighth inch in dia. :?:

duck nutt
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 09:34:38 AM »

i'd leave it ...especially if it's developing...as long as some type of bacteria doesn't penetrate the membrane, it'll hatch..might wanna put a drop of hot wax,elmers glue, or tape over it...how much longer til due date?
derk1

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 08:37:10 PM »

Man these thunderstorms are really starting to suck. I am getting one to two every day. I have had the generator running 4 out of the past 7 days, runs all my brooders incubators and most of my house...
Best of luck with your hatch.
I finally broke down and  bought a generator this year. I lost way too many birds in the past. It paid for itself this week guys, with ease. I will never go without one again. Look for used ones in auctions and ask around, a buddy found one for me, came from Y2K scare, had never been ran.
I hear the thunder rolling in again and the sky is getting black, welcome to Ohio, if you dont like the weather hang around a minute it will change.
Gamebirdman
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 09:25:17 PM »

Before I got a generator I kept several candles around.  I have incubators that have capacities from 1500-9000 quail eggs.  When power would go out I would move eggs around so they wouldn't be under the direct heat of the candles.  I also left the door open slightly because the co2 off of the candles.  My hatch rate dropped a little but nothing real drastic.  I am with you Derk1 on the storms.  We have got hit pretty hard in last 2 weeks.  Not real great for egg production either.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:30 PM »

Should see some baby birds around the 15th. Will be putting another batch in on Thursday. Have 25 more eggs already! My 5 little hens sure are cranking them out, it's only been 11 days. :P

If these storms don't let up I'll have to start feeding my bees! Lost a lot of hives ($) to the rain last summer. :evil:

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 08:29:07 AM »

Hey Dirk, that storm rolled in here about 11:30 last night. Power didn't go off ...this time. Certainly thinking hard about that generator! The last power outage cost me a washer and dryer.  :shock:

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »