That Quail Place Forum

Raising Gamebirds => Individual State/Country Discussion => Alabama => Topic started by: Smiles on July 31, 2007, 02:34:56 PM

Title: Breeder permit???
Post by: Smiles on July 31, 2007, 02:34:56 PM
I have contacted the State and was directed to the county office. I left a message on the machine but still no call back. Can anyone tell me if a breeder permit is required in Alabama to raise BW quail? I will not be selling the birds or turning them out into the wild.
Title: Re: Breeder permit???
Post by: WHITNEYPLU on August 01, 2007, 02:55:51 AM
its required in every state thru the fish and game dept.
Title: Re: Breeder permit???
Post by: wildergamebirds on August 01, 2007, 03:56:11 AM

  You've probably already check this site:

 On page 9 of the PDF there is a commercial license listed, for $25,  and a propagation license for $1 (both available from department of Conservation and Natural Resources headquarters in Montgomery).  It appears that either would cover release, the cheap one for release on property "controlled" by the permit holder.  That would cover possesing them, on your own, or leased property.  It would also protect you if some escaped on your property, or if you used them for private dog training.  If there is a permit required to posses, raise, and eat Quail on your own property, it sure isn't listed.  If you have Quail, others will want to buy them from you.  You may want to keep this in mind while deciding what permit to buy.

  If you call back, and ask for a propagation permit, by name, you might get a correct answer.  Your local law enforcement (game) officer can usually give you a better, and straight answer.  That is, if you can catch him, they are usually pretty overworked.

  Next best might be to find someone nearby, who sells Quail.  They should know what permits are required of their customers.  Try this site for list to pick from:
Title: Re: Breeder permit???
Post by: Smiles on August 01, 2007, 12:02:23 PM
I got a number from the sheriff today and contacted local game warden's office, they informed me that no permitt is required if the birds are for personal use and not being sold or used for training.