Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  groung turkey pellets as a starter feed option?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: groung turkey pellets as a starter feed option?  (Read 12083 times)
Danman

Personal Text

« on: May 18, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »

I have some Bobwhites due to hatch this Holiday weekend. There are no feed stores in my area which carry bird/poltry feed. I did find one that I had arranged to order in some turkey starter. I drove there today, a mere hour ride to find was he got in turkey pellets. Can these be ground up and used? It is a bit late to order from the on-line places as the chicks will be here before the food may arrive. There are plenty of pet stores that I could get finch food etc to add to the mix.
The other problem with ordering on-line is it seems to be the turkey starter is medicated and I have heard mixed feelings on this.
So is there a viable solution to what to feed them?
Should I order the more correct stuff on-line and get away with feeding something to hold them over.
If ordering should I bother with the GroGel B as it wont be here when they hatch.
Thanks in advance as I have limited time to go on-line, but will be feverishly reading posts for now for an answer and any direction from more experienced members is greatly appreciated.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

I did find one that I had arranged to order in some turkey starter. I drove there today, a mere hour ride to find was he got in turkey pellets. Can these be ground up and used?

Yes. Ground fine. What is the percent of it though ? You'll need to be about 28(ish) percent protein.
You can bump that up with Soy.....but have never heard anything good about Soy.
Even if you had a Turkey crumble, you would have to grind it for a week or more.

Any water soluble vitamin mix will only be good.
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »

I think it is 21 % protein but will check in AM. So i will have to bump it up. What about hard boiled chicken eggs? or is this a no no for new hatchlings?
What do you mean by grind for a week or more?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »

Turkey crumbles are too big for Quail chicks. Most game bird chick starter is too big. You have to grind it smaller so they'll be able to eat it.

Some/most feed stores will ship feed to you. Phone calls will need to be made. Try and get a game bird starter, and the % should be in the ball park.
If you end up with too much, you can still feed it to them as they grow older.

Mushed up hard boiled eggs are OK for all aged birds. Shell and all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

Don't forget the grit. Budge grit will work.
sdaddy68

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »

I use a small coffee bean grinder that i received as gift for Christmas to grind the turkey pellets.  It doesn't take long for the pellets to turn to dust.  Finally found a use for the thing.
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »

I found a place that has wild game bird starter which has 24%. Nothing on the shelf came close to 28% Pure shelled sunflower was only 22% so i have to figure out how to get the protein up.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »

24% close enough.
EagleEye
Predator
Global Moderator

Bald Eagle

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »

A regular kitchen mixer will grind up the feed with ease.

c49
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:07:03 AM »

Well thats a load off my mind! Thanks for the help. Looking foward to peeps this weekend.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »