Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Training My Dog to Back
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Training My Dog to Back  (Read 3475 times)
Pollywog

« on: September 07, 2008, 06:15:52 AM »

c110

I am to the point of training my little English Setter to start backing other dogs.  I want to start training with a simple silhouette (can't afford the fancy electronic model).  Does anyone have any plans or suggestions on making a simple backing dog silhouette.  Thanks ahead of time for the help.  PLC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »

Try lion country, or Bill Boatman.  I'm sure they have the silhouettes, maybe the patterns.  Pointing Dog Journal.   Have her lie on her side, and trace with chalk, or tape, like CSI does.  Where do you live?  Can you find heavy sheet plastic, rather than plywood?  Many dogs that are trained to back, rather than learning it through experience, or natural backers, will lock up when they see a water barrel in the fields.  My point is, it doesn't have to look like a whole dog, with four legs, and a tail.

Best way is to hunt her with a growly 80 pound GSP, she'll learn fast, and won't associate the correction with you.

Do you have, or have access to a launcher, and another pointing dog?  If she is broke to absolute whoa, it should be easy.  If she is not whoa broke, she's not ready for backing, if she is, she might back, naturally.

Do NOT whoa her into a back.  Use gentle pressure on check cord.  A little sweet talk the first few times is ok, but not "whoa".  It may take a little longer, but she should soon stop and look, trying to figure out what the other dog is seeing, or smelling.  I still like using a launcher, more natural.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pollywog

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »

I got a silhouette off the internet today and have got it traced on my plywood, will cut out tonight.  I live in North Florida and have been working with a buddy and his dogs pointing on spring traps the last 2 months.  It is real hot so we can only work them for a short period of time in the mornings. 

My little pointer is very timid around other dogs, not sure why but we are getting over that as well.  She does well with Whoa and we are continually reinforcing it.  Looking forward to some cooler weather so we can both enjoy the bird work more. 

If you have any other suggestions let me know.  PLC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »