Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Anoth problem with my lab!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anoth problem with my lab!  (Read 4540 times)
Kaiser878
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »

My lab is 5 amost 5 months old and is very tempermental when it comes to retrieving! I have tried it all and he only retrieves maybe 3 times and then decides it is time to run with it and play! Then other times he wants nothing to do with retireving? Any suggestions!
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:15:20 PM »

keep on teasing the ball with him and then through it.make him realy want to go and get it .you should get a video called "water dog" it is realy help full.
bbcmcdonald
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 07:31:41 PM »

Force break him to retrieve. www.blueridgepointers.com
dek
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »

I had the same problem. I invested into a shock collar. Used a lot of Force breaking and now he is doing much better
DEK
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 01:29:04 AM »

He's still a little young for CC or FF, work the obedience and when all his adult teeth are in, work the force fetch.  There are several methods for different temperament dogs, find what works, be consistent and work through it.  Advance only when he is competent in the current task and level.  He will set the time frame with his progress.  He should work out fine.  Good luck.
cancan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:39:35 AM »

2 tidbits for what there worth.....

dont throw him a million retrieves or any dog for that matter....makes em bumper crazy or like they could care less.....

if he only wants 2 or 3 now only give em as many as are fun for him....

and what Gsc said

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
Smiles
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

only work with him as long as he wants to work but do it every day. 5 months is still young and it depends on if there are other activies going on around you while you are working the dog. I have shock collars and they work well, but you need a plan on how to apply it to your dog before you start using it.
livinghigh2000
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »

Hello,
We have raised labs for over 20 years and trained 100s the first mistake most people make is letting there dog run loose he is young, at 9 months start getting serious, keep him in a pen. throw the ball in the trash and get real dummys, but let me back up he needs to learn how to sit and heel first labs are very smart when you throw the dummy make him stay sitting till you say back that means go get it put your hand infront of him with a flick of the wrist say back you have to keep these hyper dogs under control if he breaks before you say back fold him over hard it will break it. i could go on and on but there are plenty of good books if you cant find one let me know maybe i need to write one :) one more thing dont be over freindly with him he wants to please you if you get him to excited he will self destruct.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »